Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was not given equal opportunity in WV.

There is a place that is very close to my residence that I've always wanted to work at for many reasons but mostly because I'm a student, it's close to where I live and they wanted someone for evening & weekends.

I'm at this establishment once a day at least and most of the time more than once a day. Several days ago I'm there and I notice a sign on the door that says they are hiring(I know it wasn't there the day before because I was there throughout the day) I talk to the manager and let her know that I am interested in the position, she informs me that she doesn't have any applications. I tell her that it's no problem and I'm here everyday so I'll just ask when I'm here. For the next 4 or 5 days I ask whoever is working if they got an applications yet, the answer is always no. Finally on the last day that I am there I notice that the sign is gone, I ask again if they got any applications in and they so no once again. Just last night I was at the establishment and they hired someone new.

To me this is the definition of not being given an equal opportunity. I wasn't not afforded the chance to put in an application or "compete" for the position but this person was. I'm assuming that the manager knows this person somehow.

What do you guys make of this? I don't claim to know anything about labor law but thinking about "equal opportunity" this is exactly that to me.

Is there a state agency or anyone I can contact about this? I am extremely disappointed with the actions of this establishment/individual.

Shed some light on this for me! Anything I can do?
    Last edited by Acebeans; 02-18-2011, 04:03 PM.

This has nothing to do with "equal opportunity". There is no law that is going to force a company to let you apply.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree; based on what you posted, the employer did nothing illegal. Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Equal opportunity does NOT mean that everyone has to be given an application or that they have to interview everyone who applies. Equal Opportunity means that they do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, and other characteristics protected by law.

This is not even close to a violation of EOE laws.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

EOE -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_O...ity_Employment
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Might be that the company has a policy not to hire frequent patrons, such as yourself.
            Being a frequent patron of a company is not a protected class by EEOC standards.

In fact, our policy is NOT to hire or even interview anybody who is a client of our business. This is for security reasons and relation reasons. We do not want clients to have insider information on other clients, especially as ours is a close community.

So when we make postings of job opportunities for our business, we always double check our client database to make sure the individual is not a registered client. If a registered client has submitted a resume/cover letter or application, we suffle that to the bottom of the eligiblity pile. We usually find our candidate before the bottom is reached.

Comment

Since you're in this establishment daily and therefore known to the manager and employees, I can only assume they don't want to work with you because they don't care for some aspect of your personality, appearance, whatever. As long as the reason you weren't allowed to apply was BECAUSE OF your race, gender, age, national origin, religion, or some other protected characteristic, nothing illegal has transpired.

Comment

Working...
              X