This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non- compete law Iowa

I had to sign a 2 year non-compete for my job, how do they hold up in court?
    I had to sign this to protect our plants technology, but now with circumstances that have changed I would like to leave, and other companies within this industry have shown interest in me, at substancially higher wage than I am making, but I'm a little nervous about pursuing them.
    I was told non- competes don't hold up in Iowa, because an employer can not deter an individual from pursuing a job in their field of expertise.

That sounds more like a non-disclosure than a non-compete.

But in either case, only an attorney in your state who has read the agreement in question can determine if it is enforceable or not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

It is both, mostly a non- disclosure, they have on 3 occasions pursued individuals but we never hear how they turn out.

Comment

Agreed that you need to have a local attorney read the agreement. This sort of thing is VERY specific to the exact wording of the agreement. And the laws of the specific state. The exact same agreement would likely be treated differently in differently states. Past that, courts are much more likely to smile on a NDA then a NCA.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by jepsenpoint View Post
          I was told non- competes don't hold up in Iowa, because an employer can not deter an individual from pursuing a job in their field of expertise.
          Generally, noncompetes are enforceable in Iowa if they are no broader than what is reasonably necessary for the protection of the employer's business interests and they
          don't impose undue hardship on the employee. Also, enforceable noncompetes may
          not be prejudicial to the public interest.

However; as you were told, you do need to have it reviewed by an attorney in your
          area.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X