X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination/Investigation Checklists Indiana

Good Day,

Does anyone have a checklist of questions to ensure termination is the "right thing to do" or to show the termination was "thoroughly reviewed/investigated" before a judgment was rendered?

I have a couple I received and wanted to benchmark. From a Unemployment vendor and other companies.

Also, some may have a checklist that gives guidelines for proper investigations?

Thanks in advance,

Google "7 steps for just cause" and see if that helps

Comment

I checked with out HR Director, and we don't have any established "checklists." Her advice, which I agreed with, was that you should not have a cookie-cutter approach to this, as you run the risk of erroneously thinking that all your bases are covered just because you checked-off everything on some list.

People get more & more creative about the kinds of wrongful term claims they'll file. And in my state in particular, more and more things are being seen as whistleblower retaliation, even when there was nothing to blow a whistle on, no whistle, and no actual retaliation. Our insurers settle these cases rather than fight them.

Since it's often my investigations that lead to a termination, I work with the person's supervisor, HR, and other advisors as well, to construct a "checklist" of sorts for each case, so we know that we have some kind of documentation to support our decision against any kind of claim that we can imagine. Some of the things we add to such lists are things we learned the hard way from past Unemployment challenges and wrongful term claims, so we don't make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Here's a good one that would apply to all states.
        http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte...checklist.html
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the post Patty. I'm not going to use it as a checklist per se, but as a tool to train managers. There is always that one manager who suddenly decides they have to fire someone, and the employee is always the disabled veteran Latina lesbian who is over 40 and just last week had a worker's comp claim.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
            There is always that one manager who suddenly decides they have to fire someone, and the employee is always the disabled veteran Latina lesbian who is over 40 and just last week had a worker's comp claim.
            Now, that's funny.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

....but sadly true.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                Now, that's funny.
                Ditto - LOL.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X