This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - Prescription Drugs and working

I have an employee that was taking Norco's (up to 10 per day), now she is taking morphine.

As long as the drugs do not affect her ability to work, there should be no issue with her taking the medication, correct?

Maybe check with your WC carrier. Maybe it depends (a lot) on what the employee's job was. I sure would not want the employee handling heavy equipment or driving company vehicles (or maybe even their own vehicle), but maybe that is just me. Your company's WC carrier (and maybe the general liability carrier) might have a better feel for this.

ADA has a "reasonable accommodation" rule (assuming this is ADA), but letting someone juiced on morphine operate say a crane or drive a big rig truck is not reasonable (IMO). Plus, if their actions kill someone (or themselves), you could be talking serious lawsuits.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

She does occasionally run office errands, but for the most part, she is in the office.

Sometimes I see she looks so spaced out or loopy.

I have no proof that she does any of this, except that she talks to everybody in the office about it, but me, as I am her supervisor.

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      Maybe check with your WC carrier. Maybe it depends (a lot) on what the employee's job was. I sure would not want the employee handling heavy equipment or driving company vehicles (or maybe even their own vehicle), but maybe that is just me. Your company's WC carrier (and maybe the general liability carrier) might have a better feel for this.

ADA has a "reasonable accommodation" rule (assuming this is ADA), but letting someone juiced on morphine operate say a crane or drive a big rig truck is not reasonable (IMO). Plus, if their actions kill someone (or themselves), you could be talking serious lawsuits.

Comment

Working...
      X