This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With holding of paycheck for owed debt to employer Pennsylvania

My daughter has a friend who worked for a local private owed grocery store. The store allows employees to suspend grocery items to pay at a later date. The friend is only 17 year old and only make minim wage. She was fired and they with held her entire paycheck. My understanding is that itís against PA labor laws but I'm unable to find any information. Does anyone know what the laws are and what rights she has? Thanks you!!!

Here's the problem.

PA law provides for deductions that the employee has authorized and are for the benefit of the employee, which you can probably agree that this is. Open the hyperlink here:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=553525&mode=2

If she did not get a paystub detailing her pay and the deduction that brought her net to zero, she needs to ask for a copy of that stub.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information and links. I ask her if she signed any authorization forms for the deduction and she said that she didn't. Do the still have the right to take her paycheck?

Comment

Probably not. But, realistically, they could give her the paycheck without the deductions, if the state orders it, then sue her for the debt. Again, realisitically, if she owes the money, this is as easy a way to pay it as any.

But again, she needs to get a copy of the paystub showing the calculations before she does anything and make sure that she agrees with the amount deducted. Hopefully, the accountant did this correctly, because her wages for her final pay still need to be on her W-2.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 12-12-2010, 05:43 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

This is very helpful... Thank you again.

Comment

You're certainly welcome.

Go, Steelers!

Comment

Working...
            X