Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband fired for breaching confidentiality clause-- denied for UI? Oklahoma

The company my husband worked for was going through a major re-organization in the last three months. His boss was let go a few weeks ago and my husband started to look for a new job. As part of his search, he included a link to a personal website for examples of multi-media work he had done (TV production, pdf's, brochures). He had the site running for about a week and it contained examples from past work he'd done and a few projects with his current (now former) employer. He didn't think anything was proprietary which is why he used it.

He was called and fired today for breaching confidentiality contract (which he signed). I understand that this is an appropriate termination but my major worry is that he will be denied unemployment. I don't believe what he did was "willful misconduct" but who knows how the unemployment commission will see it.

I knew something was wrong when he was not given any severance. He pursued that with HR and found out about the confidentiality termination.

So, my question is, is he likely to be denied unemployment insurance? We are in Oklahoma but the position is actually in Ohio (he works remotely). Are claims like this likely to have a favorable appeal? Thanks for the help.

No one here can say what will happen since the state makes the decision. I can
    see a "possible" denial. All he can do is tell the truth. If he is denied, he can appeal.

Good luck to him.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks, Betty. That's what I thought.

We scoured the documents and images that he posted online and nothing was of actual work he performed. He included pictures of venues, merchant booths that were seen by thousands of people.

So, we're still unsure what the confidentiality breach was but at least now we're better prepared if we have to file an appeal. Lets hope we don't.

Comment

Good luck to him - he just needs to tell the truth & explain his side of the story.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X