X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Marland] Wrongful Termination? Maryland

First,
    I know maryland is an at will state. My question is could you be fired for hear say? THe situation is as follows.

I went into the office this morning and was asked to talk with the manager. He asked how the day went yesterday. I told him nothing was wrong and he then told me that the man I was with yesterday told him that I was sleeping on the job and disappearing for 15 minutes at a time. He stated that this happened multiple times while on a job. Aparently the co worker snapped a picture of me "sleeping". The manager refuses to show me the picture and will not talk with other employees about my performance. He also did not call the place that I was at when this happened to find out what the store owner knew about it.

I was suspended today without any evidence to suggest that I was actually falling asleep and running off, other than 1 persons "account" of what happened that day.

Suppose if I get terminated because of this, what steps could I take if any to save my job or protect myself. I am in my 90 day probation period, but without cause can you be suspended and/or fired?

THanks

Unless you have a bona fide contract prohibiting it, the employer can legally fire you for what your co-worker said, even if he is mistaken. Your boss does not have to show you the picture; the rules of evidence do no apply in the employment arena, only in a court of law.

Google "at will employment".
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org:80/wiki/At-will
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

What you have described isn't hearsay. The person who is "accounting" for your actions was the one that was with you, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Hearsay only matters in a court of law, and not always there.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Your suspension wasn't illegal & if you are terminated, it would not be
            illegal. (not a wrongful termination)

In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason
            except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you
            have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org:80/wiki/Wrongful_dismissal ( link to at-will
            employment is posted in one of the posts above)
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X