This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired for husband being arrested? Florida

My company just called me and told me I was fired for my husband being arrested. Apparently they did background checks on us and our families without telling us, and if your spouse comes up with an arrest they can fire me?
    I have never heard of this? Is this legal are they allowed to do this to me?

Maybe. The problem is this. Most employment in the U.S. is "at will", meaning that the employer does not a legal reason to fire someone. Instead there must be a legal reason why they cannot fire someone. For example, if your employer wanted to fire you because you are female, that would be a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act 1964. If instead they wanted to fire you because you were a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, one's fan affliation is not legally protected under law. As far as I know, one's spouse having been arrested is not legally protected under federal law. I do not know much about FL law other then FL has a repututation for not having much in the way of labor law and for not actually enforcing what little labor law that they do have.

Perhaps someone else sees something that I do not.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

well i guess FL not doing much about their labor laws go with the whoel state not paying attention to much law. they fire people for no reason, arrest peopel for no reason, and write tickets that dont exist. just another reason to leave i guess

thanks

Comment

"At will" is in every State except Montana.
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agreed. Just to be clear however, "at will" is the default, but it was never absolute. There are federal law exceptions such as Title VII, and most states have some level of exceptions. FL unfortunately is at the very far end of the very-few-exceptions spectrum. CA is another "at will" state, but CA has a lot of exceptions. "At will" is far from nothing, but it is also far from everything.

I am not saying it is 100% certain that the OP has no recourse. I will say that it however is very, very likely that the OP has no recourse. Now, states take notions, and there is always the possibility that FL has some law that I have never heard of. Unless someone who knows FL better then I do (which is a lot of people) can come up with an exception however I am not optimistic.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

thanks alot

thanks for reading and letting me know
            i will check into it more with a lawyer down here but wont keep my hopes up

Comment

Working...
            X