This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Ins Florida

If your fired or quit or collect UI, even if that plays a factor, when does your health Ins stop working? Do you have an option to say pick it up for a few months after leaving/ being fired?

It's according to the plan document - end of the month or date of termination.

You should be offered federal COBRA as long as you weren't terminated/let go due to gross misconduct (should be with subsidy if involuntary termination & no gross misconduct as opposed to voluntary where you quit -then no subsidy).... or Fl. state health ins. continuation plan (Also employees in Fl. if certain requirements are met, can convert to an individual policy.) - it's according to # of employees your employer has whether you are offered federal or state coverage. Fed. COBRA requires 20 or more employees.
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: add info
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I might mention, in case you didn't know, the subsidy is that you pay 35% of the COBRA prem. & there is a government paid 65% subsidy.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

However, the COBRA subsidy does not apply if you quit or are involuntarily terminated for gross misconduct.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

As to picking it back up again, your employer and/or the health insurance administrator has up to 44 days to send you the COBRA information. Once it is received, you have 60 days to make your election, and from the day you make the election you have 45 days to send in your first payment.

If you miss this very wide window, no, you have no option of picking the insurance back up again.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            However, the COBRA subsidy does not apply if you quit or are involuntarily terminated for gross misconduct.
            I think I said that but it's ok that you repeated it.

Comment

cbg, I was thinking OP meant picking it up right after termination of the other ins. but keeping it for a few months until he got other ins. (not that he would wait a few months to pick it up)

Whatever, your add'l. info. is helpful to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                I think I said that but it's ok that you repeated it.
                Hey, it was 6:15 a.m.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  Hey, it was 6:15 a.m.
                  Doesn't matter - we must be alert at all times! Please don't remember I said that when I make a "mistake."

Comment

Working...
                  X