This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question re contract

I think I signed one of those contracts that don't let me work for the competition.

What could happen if I did this anyway after signing this sort of contract? And could I possibly get out of that contract due to the fact that my employees insist on giving me cancer with there second hand smoke? I can't stay there anymore. But I need to work.
    Last edited by mudflapz; 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM.

mudflapz, please do not add your question to another poster's old thread. Please start your own new thread. Thanks. I will move your question to its own thread.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Please furnish further/more details including the type of contract you are referring to - non-compete?

Also, what is the name of the state where you work? Thanks.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Non-compete contract in NC.

Comment

You adjusted your first sentence while I was typing my prior post. It sounds like a non-compete.

You would need to take the contract/agreement to an attorney in your state/area for review & advice as to its enforceability, etc.

Before I submitted this post off, I just saw your other answer re non-compete NC -take it to an attorney as suggested above.

Comment

Agreed with Betty obviously. The trick with any agreement is the devil is often in the details, which generally means at some point a local attorney has to actually read the agreement.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Agree with the above but working with a smoker is not going to have any bearing on the validity of the contract.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Good answers from the other posters. Just to clarify a little -

Companies have employees sign non-competes for many different reasons; some are enforceable and some are not. Some companies simply depend on the employee assuming that it is enforceable - a technique to keep employees from leaving the company.

State laws are somewhat different, but there are a couple of concepts that pretty much apply to all. To be enforceable, a non-compete has to be reasonable in protecting the company's competitive position. So, the level of the employee and the level of knowledge that person holds are important. A non-compete for a fork lift operator would probably not be enforceable. A non-compete for a customer-facing account manager probably would.

That said, I would underscore the advice already provided of having a local attorney review the agreement. Particularly if the agreement is unduly restricting you from making a living, the burden falls to the company to show that it is needed to protect their competitive position. But, with an apparent agreement in place, you shouldn't try to fight that fight without an attorney.
                Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                X