This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal or not? Pennsylvania

I recently looked into a P/T opportunity, evenings, that required me to close their facility, by myself, at midnight. The hiring manager told me I would not be offered that job because I am a woman, and due to "safety concerns" this was the manager's policy. She told me she had an alternate position, but it was not consistent hours ... basically per diem work. So she refused to offer me a guaranteed job, but tried to offer me a sub par, not equivalent one. Is this legal, or is it discriminatory?

FWIW I am often at this facility, as a customer, between 11pm-midnight. So there's no concern for me as a paying entity, solely as a paid entity ....

How many employees does this company have?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I'm not sure. It's a gym ... this branch maybe less than 35 people, but it's part of a very large nationwide chain with many more employees collectively.

Comment

Ok. If you believe you were discriminated against due to your gender, you can file a complaint with the EEOC or the Pa. Human Relations Commission.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          Ok. If you believe you were discriminated against due to your gender, you can file a complaint with the EEOC or the Pa. Human Relations Commission.
          That was particularly unhelpful ... I know the routes of reporting. It's obviously not worth the time, money, and energy to pursue it legally, and I am not looking to jeopardize/give up my gym membership as I have a grandfathered sweet nationwide deal. I merely asked if this was legal or not. I have a rather unorthodox reason for asking why.

Comment

If you are looking for a message board to give you a carved in stone answer as to the legality or not, I'm sorry but your expectations are too high. We cannot give you specific legal advice or, in most cases, give you a black and white ansewr. There could be factors of which we are not aware; there could be factor of which you are not aware. All we can tell you in situations like this is where to go for resolution - we CANNOT give you an absolute yes or no response.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
            X