This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "family obligation" Pennsylvania

i recently started a job that starts at 6 am and ends at 230 pm with an occasional day of overtime here and there for an hour to an hour and a half. that is hardly the case, in the last 2 months i have been allowed to leave on time ONCE! i also own my own business on the side of that which requires me to go places and meet people from 4-10 pm, this business is what is going to take care of my family and i when this job no longer exists, my question is, can i be fired for telling them i have a family obligation and need to be out of work by 330 every day at the latest? or is there any other way to be released by that time regardless of what is going on at the J-O-B?

thanks in advance!

can i be fired for telling them i have a family obligation and need to be out of work by 330 every day at the latest?

Yes, you can.

or is there any other way to be released by that time regardless of what is going on at the J-O-B?

The release I have in mind is a permanent one that would involve filing for unemployment.

Unless you have a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, your employer is entitled to require whatever hours he wants, including overtime. Nothing in the law gives you the right to decide what hours you are going to work, without potential repercussions.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Your employer is concerned about his business & not your own business or your family obligations. You have to work whatever hours your employer needs you to/requires you to. (unless you have an employment contract to the contrary)
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Also lying and saying you need to leave for family obligations when it is really to work at your own business tends to be a career limiting move. I don't recommend it.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X