Clear All

• Feeling Almost Suicidal

I am heartsick over being arrested for shoplifting yesterday. I foolishly
    accepted a dare from a friend (it involved a bet) and got busted. I spent a
    few hours in jail after spending some time at the store. I have to appear
    in court in October and am completely clueless about everything. I'll look
    into it later but for the time being I'm just overwhelmed. Get a grip,
    buddy, it's only shoplifting, I try to tell myself, but I guess my
    hypersensitivity to anything jolting has really kicked in tonight.

I was caught redhanded after leaving the store so I don't even see the point
    of having a trial. If only I could pay a fine and put an end to this I
    would feel relieved. I guess I'm afraid of having to do some jail time. I
    realize it's probably unlikely but the possibility does exist. The total
    value of the things that I attempted to steal was around $110. I am crying
    inside. Only my friend knows what happened and I've sworn him to secrecy
    about this whole thing, although I AM a little worried that he will spill
    the beans eventually. I feel like I've seriously damaged my reputation as a
    result of one foolish, reckless act. If my family found out about this I
    would be deeply ashamed.

I'm going to bed now and can only pray I'll feel better tomorrow. I hope I
    don't get any "serves you right" comments, though I can't blame anyone for
    that attitude since what I did was clearly wrong. I've lived my life in
    what I consider to be an ethical way and I now will have a permanent record.
    I'm sorry to lay my heart bare here but I don't really have anyone else to
    talk to about this for obvious reasons.

I'd appreciate any words of advice. Thank you.

Paul

Feeling Almost Suicidal

If you can cough up enough $$$$$, maybe you can convince the store to drop
    the charges. A few grand to the manager might work wonders.

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] link.net...
    I am heartsick over being arrested for shoplifting yesterday. I foolishly accepted a dare from a friend (it involved a bet) and got busted. I spent
    a
    few hours in jail after spending some time at the store. I have to appear in court in October and am completely clueless about everything. I'll
    look
    into it later but for the time being I'm just overwhelmed. Get a grip, buddy, it's only shoplifting, I try to tell myself, but I guess my hypersensitivity to anything jolting has really kicked in tonight. I was caught redhanded after leaving the store so I don't even see the
    point
    of having a trial. If only I could pay a fine and put an end to this I would feel relieved. I guess I'm afraid of having to do some jail time.
    I
    realize it's probably unlikely but the possibility does exist. The total value of the things that I attempted to steal was around $110. I am
    crying
    inside. Only my friend knows what happened and I've sworn him to secrecy about this whole thing, although I AM a little worried that he will spill the beans eventually. I feel like I've seriously damaged my reputation as
    a
    result of one foolish, reckless act. If my family found out about this I would be deeply ashamed. I'm going to bed now and can only pray I'll feel better tomorrow. I hope
    I
    don't get any "serves you right" comments, though I can't blame anyone for that attitude since what I did was clearly wrong. I've lived my life in what I consider to be an ethical way and I now will have a permanent
    record.
    I'm sorry to lay my heart bare here but I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this for obvious reasons. I'd appreciate any words of advice. Thank you. Paul

Comment

Feeling Almost Suicidal

Paul,

I've read all of your posts and realize you're feeling REALLY bad and
      worried right now, but just try to calm down and listen to the advice others
      have offered. I do think the advice about getting a lawyer is good and you
      should listen to it. You have far more to risk by going it alone than you
      possibly could by hiring a lawyer and letting the chips fall where they may.
      You can always tell the lawyer not to contact you by phone, or to only call
      your cell phone or work number, or contact you by e-mail, etc., to maintain
      your privacy.

The main reason I'm responding is because I can truly empathize with you.
      When I was a teenager my friends and I did some things I'm TRULY ashamed of
      now, including shoplifting, and I've felt terrible about it ever since. We
      were caught once...and I was scared to death. The police were called to the
      store (JCPenney) and we were thoroughly scared ****less while they chewed us
      out and threatened to arrest us, call our parents, etc. In the end, after
      taking us outside to the squad cars, they just let us go...but I never even
      DREAMED about shoplifting again after that. I have to point out that my
      friends and I were from wealthy families in one of the most expensive cities
      in the country...we certainly didn't NEED to shoplift, we were just doing it
      for fun, for the thrill of seeing if we could get away with it--kind of like
      you doing it on a dare. The only saving grace for me is that I was
      underage, so even if I had been charged the consequences wouldn't have been
      as bad as what you're facing.

Please get a lawyer! And keep us posted on what happens.

news:[email protected] hlink.net...
      Just found out that Class A is worse than Class B or Class C.
      Consequently,
      I feel terrible right now. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] link.net...
      This is wild, wacky stuff. I can tell ya that I never thought I'd have
      to
      stand trial for anything. I'd like to think that this whole experience will
      actually benefit me in the long run since it will give me more material
      to
      write about. See, I'm a writer and I've had a bad case of writer's
      block,
      as of late. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I know that's a cliche, but it seems to fit here. The more I find out about my options, the
      more confusing this whole thing gets. I've talked to several lawyers
      over
      the phone who, of course, recommend hiring an attorney for my case.
      I've
      talked to several others who said that I should go it alone since it's
      my
      first offense AND it's the most minor charge one can receive (Class A Misdemeanor). We shall see. I do know that I've needlessly complicated my
      life, but I still hold out hope that this experience will actually
      better
      my
      life in some way. Thank you. As you were.

Comment

Feeling Almost Suicidal

At this point I no longer care. The justice system is a monolithic entity
        that never for a minute cares about the person being accused of a crime.
        The defense lawyers are looking for money and the prosecution is looking for
        not appearing "soft on crime" no matter what the facts are in a case. I've
        spoken to enough people on both sides now to know. I've always thought that
        the legal system was a joke, with defense lawyers defending those whom they
        knew were guilty and the prosection often prosecuting those whom they
        thought were innocent, but it never hits home as much as it does when you
        are involved. True, no matter what happens I will not have to serve a lot
        of time, but I look at this whole experience as an illumination of the
        justice system, in general.

At some point, when a person sees that there's not a lot of sense to
        something, they just throw up their hands and let the chips fall where they
        may. That's what I've decided on. If I am penalized by this attitude, so
        be it.
        "ILoveQAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news[email protected] .
        Paul, I've read all of your posts and realize you're feeling REALLY bad and worried right now, but just try to calm down and listen to the advice
        others
        have offered. I do think the advice about getting a lawyer is good and
        you
        should listen to it. You have far more to risk by going it alone than you possibly could by hiring a lawyer and letting the chips fall where they
        may.
        You can always tell the lawyer not to contact you by phone, or to only
        call
        your cell phone or work number, or contact you by e-mail, etc., to
        maintain
        your privacy. The main reason I'm responding is because I can truly empathize with you. When I was a teenager my friends and I did some things I'm TRULY ashamed
        of
        now, including shoplifting, and I've felt terrible about it ever since.
        We
        were caught once...and I was scared to death. The police were called to
        the
        store (JCPenney) and we were thoroughly scared ****less while they chewed
        us
        out and threatened to arrest us, call our parents, etc. In the end, after taking us outside to the squad cars, they just let us go...but I never
        even
        DREAMED about shoplifting again after that. I have to point out that my friends and I were from wealthy families in one of the most expensive
        cities
        in the country...we certainly didn't NEED to shoplift, we were just doing
        it
        for fun, for the thrill of seeing if we could get away with it--kind of
        you doing it on a dare. The only saving grace for me is that I was underage, so even if I had been charged the consequences wouldn't have
        been
        as bad as what you're facing. Please get a lawyer! And keep us posted on what happens. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] hlink.net...
        Consequently,
        I feel terrible right now. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] link.net...
        This is wild, wacky stuff. I can tell ya that I never thought I'd
        have
        to
        stand trial for anything. I'd like to think that this whole
        experience
        will
        actually benefit me in the long run since it will give me more
        material
        to
        write about. See, I'm a writer and I've had a bad case of writer's
        block,
        as of late. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I know that's a cliche, but it seems to fit here. The more I find out about my
        options,
        the
        more confusing this whole thing gets. I've talked to several lawyers
        over
        the phone who, of course, recommend hiring an attorney for my case.
        I've
        talked to several others who said that I should go it alone since it's
        my
        first offense AND it's the most minor charge one can receive (Class A Misdemeanor). We shall see. I do know that I've needlessly
        complicated
        my
        life, but I still hold out hope that this experience will actually
        better
        my
        life in some way. Thank you. As you were.

Comment

Feeling Almost Suicidal

What hogwash! I sure can overreact. That's what always gets me into
          trouble. There's some truth to what I wrote, but it misses the subtleties
          of the system. I made those comments after talking to several lawyers,
          which had disheartened me. The idea that a person who is guilty of
          shoplifting and doesn't fight the charges must get a lawyer to defend him
          seems ridiculous to me. The judge undoubtedly has seen cases of this kind
          many times before and I would think that the judgment reached should be
          fairly standard. On an unrelated note, I was sorry to hear about the death
          of Warren Zevon. I'll use his life as a source of inspiration for the next
          month or so. Death can provide comfort to the living since no matter how
          bad things get in life peace awaits us at the end of the journey. That's
          what I think, anyway. We return to the Divine Ground from whence we came,
          where we become One with all other things. This mode of being is available
          to us while alive, too, although the conditions one must meet in order to
          reach this state are so demanding that few are fortunate enough to
          experience it. When I said "unrelated note" I wasn't kidding, was I? *W*
          news:[email protected] link.net...
          At this point I no longer care. The justice system is a monolithic entity that never for a minute cares about the person being accused of a crime. The defense lawyers are looking for money and the prosecution is looking
          for
          not appearing "soft on crime" no matter what the facts are in a case.
          I've
          spoken to enough people on both sides now to know. I've always thought
          that
          the legal system was a joke, with defense lawyers defending those whom
          they
          knew were guilty and the prosection often prosecuting those whom they thought were innocent, but it never hits home as much as it does when you are involved. True, no matter what happens I will not have to serve a lot of time, but I look at this whole experience as an illumination of the justice system, in general. At some point, when a person sees that there's not a lot of sense to something, they just throw up their hands and let the chips fall where
          they
          may. That's what I've decided on. If I am penalized by this attitude, so be it. "ILoveQAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news[email protected] .
          Paul, I've read all of your posts and realize you're feeling REALLY bad and worried right now, but just try to calm down and listen to the advice
          others
          have offered. I do think the advice about getting a lawyer is good and
          you
          should listen to it. You have far more to risk by going it alone than
          you
          possibly could by hiring a lawyer and letting the chips fall where they may.
          You can always tell the lawyer not to contact you by phone, or to only
          call
          your cell phone or work number, or contact you by e-mail, etc., to
          maintain
          your privacy. The main reason I'm responding is because I can truly empathize with
          you.
          When I was a teenager my friends and I did some things I'm TRULY ashamed of
          now, including shoplifting, and I've felt terrible about it ever since.
          We
          were caught once...and I was scared to death. The police were called to
          the
          store (JCPenney) and we were thoroughly scared ****less while they
          chewed
          us
          out and threatened to arrest us, call our parents, etc. In the end,
          after
          taking us outside to the squad cars, they just let us go...but I never even
          DREAMED about shoplifting again after that. I have to point out that my friends and I were from wealthy families in one of the most expensive
          cities
          in the country...we certainly didn't NEED to shoplift, we were just
          doing
          it
          for fun, for the thrill of seeing if we could get away with it--kind of
          you doing it on a dare. The only saving grace for me is that I was underage, so even if I had been charged the consequences wouldn't have
          been
          as bad as what you're facing. Please get a lawyer! And keep us posted on what happens. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] hlink.net...
          Consequently,
          I feel terrible right now. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] link.net... > This is wild, wacky stuff. I can tell ya that I never thought I'd
          have
          to
          > stand trial for anything. I'd like to think that this whole
          experience
          will > actually benefit me in the long run since it will give me more
          material
          to
          > write about. See, I'm a writer and I've had a bad case of writer's
          block,
          > as of late. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I know that's
          a
          > cliche, but it seems to fit here. The more I find out about my options,
          the > more confusing this whole thing gets. I've talked to several
          lawyers
          over
          > the phone who, of course, recommend hiring an attorney for my case.
          I've
          > talked to several others who said that I should go it alone since
          it's
          my
          > first offense AND it's the most minor charge one can receive (Class
          A
          > Misdemeanor). We shall see. I do know that I've needlessly complicated
          my > life, but I still hold out hope that this experience will actually better
          my > life in some way. Thank you. As you were.

Comment

Working...
          X