This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Discimination-Nebraska

I was working for 10 months- part-time (25-35hrs-wk) at a large Child care facililty.
    I am 54 yrs old and I never had any issues or complaints, from the 27yr old director during this time.
    We previously worked together at another child care location, for a couple of years so we worked together in the past.
    I really enjoyed my job.
    She called me at home one morning and said I was fired, during the conversation, she said -
    I was to old for the job and I should change to something different, or stay at home. I was shocked that she said this-- She said this about 3-4 times on the phone -that I was to old for that type of work
    and I could not control the 12-15 kids on the play ground one day-that where in age from 2yrs to 6yrs old on the day she left early.
    (I was alone with that many kids.)
    What should I do..??.....she hired a 26yr old to replace me..

Discrimination

A Federal law called the "Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967" (ADEA) protects employees 40 years and older from discrimination on the basis of age. This applies to employers with 20 or more employees.

Nebraska has a similar law, applicable to employers with 25 or more employees.

You are encouraged to talk with the director again, to see if something can be resolved. If you are uncomfortable in doing so, you may wish to speak to someone higher, such as the owner of the childcare center.

If you can't work it out and your employer has 20 or more employees, then you may wish to go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The EEOC is charged with protecting the rights of employees to work in an environment free from discrimination.

Let me know if I can answer additional questions for you.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
    X