This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion rights!

I started a new job about a month ago. I told my boss (both in writing and verbaly)
    that I could not work on Sunday's because of my religion. He said that was not a problem. He is now saying that I have to work on Sundays. I thought there was a law that would protect me of this situation. I would like some information about religion vs. work! Thankyou for your time.

religion and the work place

Originally posted by Sherry
    I started a new job about a month ago. I told my boss (both in writing and verbaly)
    that I could not work on Sunday's because of my religion. He said that was not a problem. He is now saying that I have to work on Sundays. I thought there was a law that would protect me of this situation. I would like some information about religion vs. work! Thankyou for your time.

The Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (a federal law) and most state laws prohibit employers from discriminating on the basis of religious beliefs. This means that your employer cannot make decisions based on your religious orientation (for example, that you are Catholic or Jewish or Muslim) in any aspect of employment, from hiring to firing and everything in between.

In addition, where workers articulate a need to express their religious beliefs and practices in the workplace, employers are generally required to accommodate them. Similarly, where employees need a little flexibility to practice their religion outside of work, the employer might have to comply. This might mean not scheduling an employee to work on her Sabbath day, for example, or relaxing a dress code so that an employee can wear religious garments.

However, employers have some flexibility in how they accommodate employees. An employer is not required to accept whatever accommodation the employee suggests, nor to spare the employee all expenses in making the accommodation. For example, your employer might give you the day off for religious observation, but do so without pay. Or, if changing an employee's schedule to accommodate a religious belief would wreak havoc on a seniority system and cause severe morale problems among other employees, the employer might not have to agree to it.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
    X