This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello my name is.... Indiana

A young lady put signs up at work since we have been hiring a lot of people. she thought it would be nice to put the signs up with everyone name on it...I thought it was nice as well. someone from HR said the signs need to be removed due to gender discrimination. I didn't think it was gender discrimination and after researching online I saw this" *As of February 2014, the following states protect employees of private companies from gender identity discrimination: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington." We reside in Indiana. I attached the signs she put up. Is this an HR problem...the ladies signs were pink and the men signs were green...I tried to upload the other one. it's green.
    Attached Files

It's a problem if HR says it is. They can make this decision just based on company policy -- they don't have to wait on federal, state or even local laws. I think the issue is that this person is choosing a color for the sign based upon gender. And yes, I know some ladies that would be offended to get a pink sign. Some names may not give you a clue as to gender as so many are shared now (Taylor, Kim, Pat, etc)

Why not just do one that reflects the employer's brand/colors? That could be a compromise that totally leaves gender out of the equation -- which is what you and she need to do.

Comment

First you need to understand what "gender identity discrimination" is. It isn't a matter of identifying someone's gender. It involves the "T" in "LGBT" and means you can't discriminate (in the states listed) against an employee that identifies as a gender other than the one they were born with.

That said. HR can set any rules that the company management will let them set. If they say that employees shouldn't be color coded by sex then it really isn't worth the fight with them over it.

Comment

It is not limited to just the "T". It extends to those who do not conform to the gender to which they identify as well. A cis-gender, man who is effeminate, or a cis-gender, female who has short hair and wears a shirt and tie would also be covered. In the case above, it is just best not to assume someone identifies as they might appear to you. Just leave gender out of it as it isn't relevant in any way to learning the names of new coworkers. Whether Lee is a man or woman doesn't matter.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X