This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A jew is expected to work around a neo-nazi sympathizer.... Florida

....her skin head boy friend and all their equally repugnant friends????

You have GOT to be kidding me. I'm not at all sure how a workplace could get more hostile than that.

This all came to light last last night and still unfolding but...I'm pretty sure someone is going to pat me on the head and say don't take it so personally.

That can't possibly be expected of me...can it?

Perhaps. You've not given us anywhere near enough information to make a judgement call on it.

A few facts, perhaps? Along with what action you would want to see the employer take in a perfect world?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

How do you know these coworkers are sympathizers? What have they done or said directly to you regarding your religion?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Well we still have free speech ...and unless your co workers are picking on you directly as to some protected issue..like religion...you may be far better off to just tune it out.

I'm a member of a small group...sometimes brunt of a joke..just tune it out ...I'm not a fan of wild tattoos or clothing that looks like an audition outfit for a pole dancer ....or jabber about somebody's sex problems or financial woes..or the guy who is out to spread the word of his savior at the workplace .....but just tune it out ......management cannot be there to smooth over every ruffled feather .

Comment

The "free speech" is severely limited as far as being forced to tolerate it in the workplace. While you might want to just tune out things you object to, there are times when the law says you don't have to just suck it up and deal. This is potentially one of those.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

As I said, it is a new unfolding issue involving a supervising position and her boy friend. The supervising position just posted a facebook pic or her boy friend and two of his friends sitting in their shared living room shirts off, all covered in White Power tattoos and swastika's giving the Nazi salute to the camera.

Until last night, I had no idea. I've know that girl since she was a child and am completely dumbstuck by this. Younger men with shaved heads is hardly a cause for my interest and I never even considered the possibility that it was a hate driven fashion statement.

I understand that America isn't always easy. A river of blood has flown and a thousand cemetery's have been filled for her right to freely associate.

I don't know what I'm going to do. It depends on the response of the ownership.

My family goes back to Ellis Island 1904. Every single solitary man, woman and child from both sides of my parental linage that remained behind in Russia, Austria and Belgium were killed by the Nazi's. I probably am over reacting a little.

MY fantasy is that the supervisor be terminated and barred from the premise along with all her friends for life.

I'm not sure how that would be an issue since it is a bar we are talking about and there is a sign right by the front door that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time"
            . It's right under the the sign that says "No Colors, No Attitudes"

Comment

If this is all taking place off the premises and no one is giving you a hard time about your religion at work, then legally it's a non-issue.

It's not an HWE just because you have to be around him. If he were spouting his views in the workplace and directing them at you because of your religion, that would be a different story.

So, is he talking about it at work?
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And it's just one more good reason not to friend co-workers and supervisors on social media sites. Because I agree with cbg...something posted outside of work that is not brought to work in any way is just personal. Now if they start calling you names, etc at work, you might have an issue.

Comment

I'm finding out through research what the deal is. This isn't really about redress options. All these people, they are like family. There is no way I could take legal action against them. The first time I met her, was through the glass window of the hospital nursery. I work with her father who is a VERY devout christian and nearly as upset as I am especially in light of his 3 year old grand daughter now being exposed to this at the most impressionable time of her life.

I have a seriously bad heart valve. If my heart rate gets above about 120 for longer than 30 seconds, it leaks to the point where I get dizzy and fall over like one of those stupid fainting goats. Meanwhile, I'm 6-2 220 and appear healthy. If those skin heads do come at me, I can't run and I can't fight. What I can do is shoot a handgun well enough to sell tickets on a good day. This is a stand you ground state, I am a lawfully armed citizen. I will be in fear of my life. I'm am not "One of those people" I always told myself that if I felt like I was going into an area where that gun might be necessary, I wasn't going to leave the house.

I don't see anyway any of that situation is tenable to me. I'm going to have to leave.

Thanks for your help sorting through it all.

Comment

Originally posted by roland rock View Post
                    I'm not at all sure how a workplace could get more hostile than that.
                    Just what are they doing/saying to make the workplace hostile?
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Let's think this through. Presumably they've known you were Jewish if you know her that well. But you didn't know their views. Have they ever given you any indication that they were going to "come at you" before? What makes you think that just because you've learned something new about her that they're suddenly going to physically attack you?

Comment

What they post on Facebook may be in poor taste but I doubt it adds up to a HWE
                        And the supervisor may be able to decorate her desk with all sorts of images you find offensive but there still may still be issues in eye of beholder...me, I might take pictures for my records.If you find the on the job stuff to be that offensive..take it up management one level and see what happens. Perhaps grandfather is equally worried..and might step in to cool things at work?

Comment

I don't know any of those answers. Time will tell and it will be an interesting evening at work tonight.

The answer to the original question seems to be: Yes. I am expected to perform the duties of my job in a competent and professional manner while being in the presence of Neo- Nazi's consuming alcohol.

I don't think I can do that. I don't think I even want to try. Justified or not, the whole thing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I always trust that feeling. It makes me uncomfortable and I don't like feeling that way.

Thanks again for taking the time for response. It really helps to bounce this off of impartial strangers. Just about everyone I have contact with has a dog in this hunt including myself.

Sorry for turning this into the Jerry Springer laborlawtalk.

Comment

You don't say what you job is..but if it involves machinery of a possible dangerous nature ..then for folks to be at work and drinking may pose some safely issues more likely to get them in hot water than some offensive attitudes.

Comment

The point is that you've been doing exactly that all along - the only difference was that you didn't know it. What's changed in their behavior?

While I completely understand why you're upset, and don't blame you in the least, this is not a good job market to be quitting for reasons that will not allow you to collect unemployment. And unless they are doing something more hostile in the workplace, than simply existing, you won't be getting unemployment if you quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X