Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana: Racially Discrimination Indiana?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana: Racially Discrimination Indiana?

I work for a company in Indiana that has over 300 employees and is known to be an extremely conservative company. There is a handful of minorities that work for this company and none are in any type of managerial or supervisory role. My department in the company has under 20 people working in it. There are known and proud racists in the department. One of them is a team leader and assumes a direct supervisor position over myself we'll call him Ron. His best friend is his boss/department leader which shares most of his views but is not as vocal about them we'll call him Jon. Earlier this year we had some employees transfer into our department and one of these employees got along real well with the 2 others in the management role,and we'll call him Tim.
    As a position opened up in our department for another team leader role, Ron and Jon with direct and immediate contact with the department supervisor convinced him that Tim would be perfect for it, even though he was not well versed in all if not most aspects of our jobs. I felt along with others in the department that I was most deserving for the position since I know every aspect of our job and know all of our customers, have more experience in the department (3 years), one of only 3 people in our department with a college education, and have supervisory experience including previously running my own business. Tim has been getting groomed for his new position including meetings and proper training. I was never even approached for the position or any training. We've been told that the reason Tim is in the position is due to the fact he had 5+ years of supervisory experience in the department he came from (which has nothing to do with our department), and that he had attended college before (1 year) he dropped out.
    Everyone is supposed to do the same work, yet up until recently I was one of the lowest paid in the department. I really feel that the reason I got overlooked was due to the fact I am a minority. There are constant jokes about my race which do not bother me since they are just normal guy ribbing. The comments about the stereotypes of my race from some other of the guys in the department is what bothers me since these come from another known racists and are said when they think Im not able to hear them.
    Could this be a case of discrimination? I feel that I have gone as far as I can go in the company due to the fact the my race at this point will prevent me from moving up in the company and that minorities have never even been in a manager role in the company.

Could it be? Sure, it could be.

Can we say for certain that it is? No, of course we can't.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree that it is possible it could be. However, there is no way we can know for sure, for example, that you didn't get the promotion due to your race.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I agree with the other posters that there is no way of telling. As an outsider, based on your post I could also see Tim being groomed because he made friends with the bosses.

Comment

Working...
        X