X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nkaylyn
    started a topic Hostile/Targeting/Retaliation

Hostile/Targeting/Retaliation

I have repeatedly been attacked publicly and privately by a supervisor. She has attacked my clothing, my department, and personal issues in front of staff as well as insinuating hateful comments during company meetings. As a result of my contacting the associate hotline which is to be kept confidential about her behavior to me and other employees, I have been written up, Told I was never going to be a manager, and not allowed to use a recorder to make sure that I had proof of the conversation. Was actually told any associate who used a recorder would be fired. When I confronted the supervisor about her blatant hostility she told me I should quit. These are only a few of what seems to be an ongoing situation coming from my supervisor. What should I do? I keep documenting all the incidents that have gone on, but it appears nothing is going to stop her from targeting me. Is the next step contacting the State HR dept?

• DAW
    replied
    And even if the recording is not illegal under state law, the employer can still legally fire employees who do so.

Past that, agreed with the other answers. It is not interently illegal to be a bad boss or a bad employer. I have had bad bosses before. Some of them I kept my mouth shut and out lasted them. Others I kept my mouth shut and found a better job. What I did not do is quit or talk back, since neither of those two options do anything but help the bad boss. Whatever you do long term, short term do nothing to give the bad boss anything to work with. Do not talk back. Do not bring your personal life into the office. Assume that anything you tell your "friends" at work will be promptly repeated to the bad boss. Assume that the bad boss goes through your desk every night and monitors everything you do on the computer. Also, read the references that were cited earlier. Best you know what the rules actually are.

And you making a recording is a really bad idea. There is no possible upside for you from such an action because the employer will almost certainly legally fire you and they will arguably be correct to do so. The bad boss is likely telling their boss that you are a problem and you making a recording will prove to the employer that the bad boss was correct.

Leave a comment:

• Alice Dodd
    replied
    In some states, it is a felony to record a private conversation without the other person's permission, and you should have that permission on the recording. You did not tell us what state you're in, so you'll have to google 'two party states" to see if your state requires permission from both parties.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-ho...nvironment.htm

Leave a comment:

• dkstaub
    replied
    Nothing you have said in your post appears to give you any rights against your employer or supervisor. Unfortunately, people can be downright nasty and unless it meets the legal test for a "hostile work environment," often the employee's only option is to quit.

A hostile work environment is actionable when it is based on allegations of discrimination such as race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. If your supervisor just plain doesn't like you and makes your job difficult, that is not enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X