Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Issues at work! In California (Long but please help me!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Issues at work! In California (Long but please help me!!)

Thank you for the replies. I no longer need advice.
    Last edited by orbitjup; 09-09-2009, 10:40 PM. Reason: advice no longer needed.

Originally posted by orbitjup View Post
    Okay so I work for a very large hotel company. I have dealt with several issues. One I work overnight relief which means I work a certain amount of normal horu shifts and then the rest I work overnight (11pm- 730am). When I was hired I was told they wanted to keep me in it for a year before moving to regular shifts. I have been working for 1 yr and 8 mos and still on this shift. I know it sounds like I should just quit but it's much more difficult than that.

No other company in the area pays as well by far so I am used to the wages I make and anything less would be a major set back. Now I'll get into the specifics.

As a result of my erratic scheduling it's caused my health and immune system to operate poorly which has caused me to use all my sick time. I have provided doctors notes for majority of my illnesses and my doctor has told me how harmful this schedule is for my health and immune system. I told my employer that the hours I am working are deteriorating my health and causing poor performance.

When I came back recently from being sick I found tampons in my mailbox at work(which I took pictures of inside my box before removing). I've also in the past reported one of my managers multiple times for unwelcomed touching (he would grab my waist and squeeze or grab my side). I was told they would investigate but was never called into HR after reporting to my Manager. I brought it up numerous times. Everytime it was dismissed because he is a married male and I am a male as well. After I reported it to my manager I felt uncomfortable at work he would get agressively angry over small things. He yelled at me like raised his voice like you would yell at a child and slammed his hand on the desk so loud it could be heard in another department because I forgot to clock in from lunch.

A couple times the full-time overnight front desk agent had called out and I was basically intimidated into coming in to work. I remember telling them it was to last minute and I wouldn't be able to cover the shift. Then my assistant manager paused and kinda of took a tone of disapproval and told me. " I'm very disappointed in you _______. We expect more out of you. Then there was a pause as to wait for a reply. I got off the phone and panicked. I was afraid that this was going to affect my job if I didn't go in for the overnight. So I called back and caved in and went into work. I went to HR and told them how I felt and how I felt that if I hadn't that my job would have been compromised or thats how it sounded without saying it directly.

I got called in to speak with my manager once because aparently they felt I said I was tired to much (which who wouldn't be after working my schedule) And it was a problem basically. Without saying it they were silencing me. I feel like a prisoner with no rights. I can't even say i'm tired!!! I come in I work you know even if i'm tired. I love the benefits my job offers and I love the company. It's the management that is wreaking havok on me!

I'm a nervous wreck, I'm scared i'm going to be fired, at the same time i'm done emotionally and my body just feels exhausted. This treatment has given me a complex. I'm afraid to go to my managers because I don't feel that the open door policy applies to me. I've supplied my doctors notes and I still received a final warning. I don't know I feel like I made a deal with the devil and now all I want is my soul back. Is there anything I can do?
    I am so sorry to hear this. You sound physically and emotionally devastated . Maybe OnYourSide can offer some sound advice and direction. I'll PM that user and see if she can. Hang tight !

Comment

Originally posted by orbitjup View Post
      I've supplied my doctors notes and I still received a final warning. I don't know I feel like I made a deal with the devil and now all I want is my soul back. Is there anything I can do?
      If you are hoping that someone can tell you a magical way to get your employer to do something differently, I don't think there is any way to do that. The unwanted touching might be something that can constitute sexual harassment, but more details would be needed - not posted here, though. If you want to pursue that, see an attorney who specializes in sexual harassment. It won't cost you anything to see if the attorney feels you have a case.

Beyond that, it really sounds like you have health issues that you should try to work with your doctor(s). Maybe thinking outside the box a little on what is troubling you. For example, much of what you describe could be caused by a number of sleep disorders. Without conducting a study, neither you nor your physician would know that you had the problem. And, there could be other things, that is just one example. While I am not a doctor, you appear to be suffering more than a work-shift problem should cause. I recommend scheduling an extended visit with the doctor you trust most and go over all of the symptoms. Just maybe, that will lead to finding and treating the problem. Good luck.
      Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

I have done a sleep test in the past where I slept in the hospital while they watched my brainwaves and they found nothing to be wrong. I mean it just really sucks because I am a guy and your expected to tough it out and just not complain or deal with it when someone shoves tampons in your work mailbox. Because your a guy your supposed to be tough and since I am not an aggressive person i'm just dramatic. There have been other employees who have had problems with that manager. He recently got let go but not for harassment. He was laid off. He had asked two female co-workers in the past if they were lesbians and were having sex with each other but the way he asked that co-worker was a bit more inappropriate.

Originally posted by Scott67 View Post
        If you are hoping that someone can tell you a magical way to get your employer to do something differently, I don't think there is any way to do that. The unwanted touching might be something that can constitute sexual harassment, but more details would be needed - not posted here, though. If you want to pursue that, see an attorney who specializes in sexual harassment. It won't cost you anything to see if the attorney feels you have a case.

Beyond that, it really sounds like you have health issues that you should try to work with your doctor(s). Maybe thinking outside the box a little on what is troubling you. For example, much of what you describe could be caused by a number of sleep disorders. Without conducting a study, neither you nor your physician would know that you had the problem. And, there could be other things, that is just one example. While I am not a doctor, you appear to be suffering more than a work-shift problem should cause. I recommend scheduling an extended visit with the doctor you trust most and go over all of the symptoms. Just maybe, that will lead to finding and treating the problem. Good luck.

Comment

So that problem manager is no longer even there? That is one problem solved. I have no idea why tampons were in your mailbox but it could be anything from free samples being put in all the boxes to a silly prank to someone accidentally putting them in the wrong one. On its own, it isn't a big deal.

Plenty of people work shifts and do so just fine, men and women. It has nothing to do with your gender. Some people just adapt better than others. If shift work doesn't work for you, you need to decide what is more important, your health or the money. Realize that in hospitality, 9-5 jobs are rare.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It's been so many things that I think I got frustrated and just listed them all down at once. Let me clear it up and state my main frustration. Out of the time he worked here he created so much anxiety in me and so many times grabbing my waist and squeezing it and calling me a girl in spanish which I understood very well. From humiliating me in front of another co-worker that I have just become exhausted in the end. Yes he is gone but it has taken a toll on my health from my crazy schedule which I don't mind I know I signed up for this. I love the company I work for itself. It was the hell I went through with the management. I reported multiple times his touching and how uncomfortable it made me. I was told HR would be in touch but no one ever did. He knew I reported him and he made work even more difficult for me which is what he did to another co-worker whom reported him for a different reason but dealing with vulgar inappropriate questions. When he found out she reported him he wrote her up for something that wasn't fair and when she said it was unfair he said " A lot of things in life aren't fair are they (co-workers name). It just baffles me that this can be okay when I took the steps I needed to address it and to make him stop with the touches and the comments from smelling my cologne "Mmm your going to make me fall in love with you". I work to pay my bills and to keep my future going in the right direction. My work is seperate from my life and even if I was comfortable with the touching which I wasn't. It is inappropriate and it means something to me.

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            So that problem manager is no longer even there? That is one problem solved. I have no idea why tampons were in your mailbox but it could be anything from free samples being put in all the boxes to a silly prank to someone accidentally putting them in the wrong one. On its own, it isn't a big deal.

Plenty of people work shifts and do so just fine, men and women. It has nothing to do with your gender. Some people just adapt better than others. If shift work doesn't work for you, you need to decide what is more important, your health or the money. Realize that in hospitality, 9-5 jobs are rare.

Comment

At this point though, I'm not sure what you expect your employer to do about it. They guy is gone. You didn't report it to HR even though reporting it to the manager wasn't effective. Even still, their only obligation is to make it stop, which it has.

If you are having difficulty dealing with it, then I'd strongly suggest speaking to a counselor. Your employer may even have an EAP which can help.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
              X