This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loves her job but...... Virginia

Hi a friend of mine has been working for this company for the past twelve years. She has become very close to the owners of the company so much so that she has gone on vacations with them and watches their children and such. The problem is she has not had a reaise in 12 years. She is making the same money as when she started. Others with in the compnay have excelled to a higher pay, while she has stayed where she is. She has asked for raises in the past and has been told the budget will not allow for it, or money is tight right now, ask later we will take care of you. Still no raise. Is there anything that she can do ? She feels as though she is being discriminated against for being a woman.

Raises are not required by law. The ONLY time the law requires an employer to give an employee a raise is if minimum wage is raised by either the state legislature or an act of Congress, and the employee is earning less than the new minimum.

How does she know that others in the company have been given raises? Have any of them been women?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

She is the admin for the entire office there...She does payroll and everything else. She is also the only woman in the company besides the owners wife.

Comment

I don't think it's a slam dunk but, assuming that the employer has 15 or more employees, she can always see what the EEOC has to say.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok I will let her know thank you...

Comment

Has she asked her bosses for a raise or why she has not had one?

Comment

Per the first post, she has asked for raises but was told the budget would not allow it ....
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

duh. sorry

Comment

That's ok, most all of us have done stuff like that. I just didn't want the poster to have to come back & answer the question.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by BETHH View Post
                    Hi a friend of mine has been working for this company for the past twelve years. She has become very close to the owners of the company so much so that she has gone on vacations with them and watches their children and such. The problem is she has not had a reaise in 12 years. She is making the same money as when she started. Others with in the compnay have excelled to a higher pay, while she has stayed where she is. She has asked for raises in the past and has been told the budget will not allow for it, or money is tight right now, ask later we will take care of you. Still no raise. Is there anything that she can do ? She feels as though she is being discriminated against for being a woman.
                    If she has evidence that she is being discriminated against, she can contact the EEOC.

However, almost any outcome will involve her getting a new job at some point. I would suggest that she be proactive and look for another job. Then, assuming that after 12 years she's being paid less than market levels, the new job will pay more (there is the option that she was being paid so much 12 years ago that she's still competitive, but that's not likely. If that's the case, then she should drop it).

After getting a new job offer, she can choose to change jobs or go back to her employer and say "I was contacted by another company who offered me $xxx more than I'm making here. I really don't want to leave because I love it here, but I need to plan for my retirement, kids' college, etc, and the money is important. Is there something you can do about my salary?" It may not work, but if the salary is different enough that she would take the other job, there's little to lose.

Comment

Working...
                    X