This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this discrimination?

In January, I was hired in a sales position making minimum wage. I balked at the offer, but the manager told me it was just to get my "foot in the door." The other sales person there was making $450 a week. Time went on, and in February, they fired the other sales person and hired his replacement at the $450 a week while I was still making minimum wage -- and I had to train him! My position had more responsibility in that I was given keys to the store and to the safe and am considered an assistant manager. I am a female working in a predominantly male profession.

Finally, at the end of May, the owner relented and gave me the $450 a week. I really feel I was cheated for five months. I had repeatedly argued my point to the manager, however, he ignored my requests and refused to take it up with the home office.

Is this a case for discrimination?

Discrimination

It is potentially. If your employer has 15 or more employees, then it is subject to federal discrimination laws. If it doesn't have 15 employees, it may still be subject to state discrimination laws.

For more information about discrimination on the basis of gender, you may wish to refer to the following website:

http://www.eeoc.gov/types/sex.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
    X