X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination

Just wanted some opinions on this

Got yelled at for not wearing scrubs at my daycare, we are supposed to wear white, I got yelled at there are 2 present staff members one is male that never wear scrubs and another worker female that always wears capris. I dont like to wear scrubs because i am heavy and they wear out to fast. Just wanted opinion on this since the other 2 don't get yelled at and I dont want to wear them. Also found out that a male who doesn't have a degree or as much experience as I do makes 50 cents more an hour than I do. This makes me really angry and he told me that she paid him more because she really wanted him to come back,(I work in a daycare) I know he makes more because he is male. Otherwise, he would be making the same amt as me or less. Just wanted thoughts and opinions on this. Any makings for a lawsuit here??

[email protected]
    L. Vandrey

Discrimination

If you were told by the employer that the guy is making more because he is guy, there may be potential discrimination. However, there are a couple of issues here. First, how large is your employer? In other words, how many employees do they have? The reason I ask is that many of the anti-discrimination laws only pertain to employers with 15 or more employees. Some state bring this number down lower. So, the next question is where are you located?

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I live in Florida and we have about 10 to 12 employees, My boss didn't tell me he makes more, he told me how much he made and we do the exact same job, only difference is I have more experience and a degree and he doesn't. The law states that if you are doing the same job, you should be compensated the same, but is that only for large businesses? What about the issue with the uniform??? Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Florida

Florida says that an employer may not discriminate on the basis of sex. It defines employer as an entity that has two or more employees. Differences are permitted if the difference is as a result of a merit system, job performance, seniority, etc.

Also, on the uniform issue, if both the other female is not held to the uniform policy, the employer is not discriminating on the basis of gender. Why do you believe you are being singled out?
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

So what do you think on the male pay issue? She pays everyone differently. As for the uniforms, she was mad at me today, but I am the only one that gets yelled at, perhaps it is because i am heavy?? The male doesn't wear scrubs and the other female doesn't ever wear them, so I feel i am being singled out and can they really enforce this if not everyone follows the dress code.???

LVandrey

Comment

Dress Code

My feeling is that they will probably find a way to justify why the male is being paid more. You could always file a charge, and your employer would be prohibited from retaliating against you, but it may not lead to anywhere.

As far as the uniform is concerned, it is okay to require some people wear a uniform. You say that you are being treated differently because you are heavy. If your weight was caused by a bona fide disability, it may be discriminatory. However, your employer is too small to be held to the federal statutes.

I'm sorry I can't help you more. Let me know if you have any other questions.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I can't figure out for the life of me, why he would need to be paid more than me for doing the same job. As far as the uniforms go, I am the only one they ever say anything to about not wearing it, even though my other coworkers dont always wear their uniforms. This makes me really [email protected]@@@ I don't understand.

Comment

Daycare

You can file a charge with the state of Florida against your employer, on the basis of the differing wages. The case doesn't sound very strong. However, it never hurts to try.

Do you thinkt hat you are being singled out on the uniform issue for a reason other than for weight? For example, based on your race, religion, national origin, etc.?

You can learn more about the Florida complaint process by looking at the Commission for Human Relations website. (The Commission is a government agency.) It can be found at: http://fchr.state.fl.us/

Good luck.
                Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
                www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
                X