This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA - Laid Off While on Long Term Disability

Hello All, appreciate any an all comments on the below subject and please forgive my ignorance.

My wife was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma at the beginning of July 2015. Her company approved her for long term disability leave from July 2015 until March of 2016. She has been receiving SDI payments since August. Her company was purchased in September and she just received notification that her job will be eliminated as of January 2016.

My questions are:

1. Is she still eligible to receive SDI through March 2016 per the original approval or does she forfeit that because her job was eliminated?
    2. I know she is not eligible to receive unemployment while she is on disability but can her unemployment eligibility be delayed until she comes off disability?

Thanks for your time. The good news in all this is my wife had her last chemo treatment a few weeks ago and is in remission.

Is your wife still medically unable to work? Remission can be very different for everyone. If she is still medically disabled, her loss of employment will not affect her eligibility for SDI.

If she is no longer medically unable to work, and is unemployed, she would need to apply for unemployment and be looking for a job.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

She is in remission but still feeling the effects of chemo. Her doctor has said that she should be able to return to work in 3 to 4 months. He initially had her on disability leave until March(which is right around 3 or 4 months from now). From your response it sounds like her SDI should not be affected even when her position is eliminated in January?

Comment

Originally posted by mcrevani View Post
        From your response it sounds like her SDI should not be affected even when her position is eliminated in January?
        That is correct if she still qualifies as disabled under SDI.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X