This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this isnt fair Oregon

I have been working for a (restaurant) for a year and a half, they have decided to cut my hours recently because i posted "i am pissed off with my work" on my personal facebook because they called me in that morning to speak with me and were saying i dont work, and am lazy and always have a bad attitude . these things are not true and i requested to see video, and see the write up they were giving me. they refused to show me these things. my managers at work are not on my facebook, they have told all of the employees to leave their personal lives at home when at work. can they use my personal life against me and cut my hours? and say things about me that arent true, i have seen this happen with other employees they have let go in the past.they have employees who use drugs and they keep them and don’t do anything about it, but yet want to fire me because I said I was pissed off with them. I dont think this is right. i contacted the civil rights dept after going to the labor board and they told me there is absoulutley nothing i could do about this. my work has caused me to have depression and anxiety again. what should i do
    Last edited by Betty3; 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM. Reason: remove name of employer

Based on what you posted, I don't see anything illegal done by your employer.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You are under the impression that you have a whole lot more rights in the workplace than you actually have. I would also venture that you're rather young, and haven't learned yet that Facebook rants can come back to bite you in the butt. Your employer doesn't have to employ someone who publicly bad mouths them. They don't have to be fair. They can cut your hours because they don't like you, or like someone else better even if that person is a drug addict, slob, or lazy worker. Unless they violate existing laws or discriminate based on a legally protected status, they can treat you like dirt.
      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Even if your employer was being unfair, unfair does not equal illegal. The Civil Rights Commission even told you there wasn't anything you could do.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by cecilia_m21 View Post
          I have been working for a (restaurant) for a year and a half, they have decided to cut my hours recently because i posted "i am pissed off with my work" on my personal facebook
          Did they tell you THAT was the REASON for a reduction in your hours?

because they called me in that morning to speak with me and were saying i dont work and am lazy
          work harder and prove them wrong.

and always have a bad attitude
          Change it.
          Your posting would suggest that they are spot on with that observation

these things are not true and i requested to see video, and see the write up they were giving me. they refused to show me these things.
          There are no laws requiring them to do so.

my managers at work are not on my facebook, they have told all of the employees to leave their personal lives at home when at work.
          That was very wise advice that you would have done well to fallow.
          The minuet you post anything on a public web site for all to see, your "personal life" is no longer "personal"
          While the courts have ruled that postings on Face book DO come under the protection of freedom of speech, they did not address the issue of any of the consequences of doing so.
          can they use my personal life against me and cut my hours?
          Your "personal life" is irrelevant.
          Unless you can prove that your posting on Face book was THE REASON WHY there was a reduction in your hours, you have NO legal recourse.

and say things about me that arent true, i have seen this happen with other employees they have let go in the past.they have employees who use drugs and they keep them and don’t do anything about it, but yet want to fire me because I said I was pissed off with them. I dont think this is right. i contacted the civil rights dept after going to the labor board and they told me there is absoulutley nothing i could do about this. my work has caused me to have depression and anxiety again. what should i do
          Your employer is not prohibited by law from expressing an OPINION about you,
          no more than you are prohibited by law from expressing your OPINION that,
          they have employees who use drugs and they keep them and don’t do anything about it.
          Unless you know for a FACT that all management is aware of that, you are doing nothing more than expressing an opinion yourself and opinions are rarely if ever rooted in facts or the truth.

As far as what you should do,
          I think it would go a long way toward retaining employment if you were to,
          1. Work harder.
          2.Lose the attitude.
          3. Keep your "personal life" off of Face book.
          .._________________
          ~ I deplore stupidity, I’m happy to admit to mine,
          and even happier when I can point out yours.
          Last edited by drruthless; 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM. Reason: !!#@!!*&%)#!##! keyboard!

Comment

my work has caused me to have depression and anxiety again. what should i do Find a different job. And when you do, don't ***** about it on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
            X