This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity leave laws for small buss ( 20 emp. or less) in cal. California

So, I recently found out I am pregnant.I am waiting for three months to hit so I can tell my boss. I am dreading the moment when I do, because its a small business, they own two stores, and the manager and I run the front end of one. We are already understaffed and with me leaving I know it wont be taken lightly. Anyways, I was reading up on the laws for employees right on maternity leave, but it being a small buss. I dont qulify for some of them. I dont know what to do, or what my rights are? Or how to go about it? I need HELP!

If your employer doesn't have 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius of your work location, fed. FMLA & Ca. FMLA (CFRA) do not apply.

Pregnancy Disability Leave-(under Fair Employment & Housing Act)
    An employer must provide up to four months disability leave for a woman who is **disabled** due to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition. (subject to med. cert.) However, if an employer provides more than four months of leave for other types of temporary disabilities, the same leave must be made available to women who are disabled due to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition.
    Eligibility for pregnancy leave-
    A woman who works for a covered employer is eligible for pregnancy disability leave regardless of the length of time she has worked for the employer. Further, an employee does not have to work full-time in order to be eligible.
    (This is unpd. job protected leave.) Applies to employers with 5 or more employees.

The PDL is up to 4 mos. for a pregnancy which makes the employee *unable to work* (does NOT include bonding). For the period of time, you are medically unable to work, you should be able to collect State Disability Insurance.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
    X