This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take FMLA Texas

My job has grown too difficult for me to do over the last few years - they keep "raising the bar" as they call it. It has caused me so much difficulty and I really can't do the job anymore. It is very technical and my mind just can't keep up with it.

My problem is my husband, he get's frantic when I talk of quiting. We can scrape by without the money. I am concerned about the mental and physical problems being caused by stress.

Can I take FMLA without a Dr's order and get some down time so I can make a rational decision about continuing my employment with this difficult company? I am not alone in this... most of my peers feel the same way :-(
    -- Thanks for any advise on this, I have never done anything like this before. Rose

FMLA can ONLY be taken when you have a serious health condition as defined by the statute. Without a doctor's confirmation that such a condition exists, the employer has no legal obligation to designate FMLA. "Down time" is not a qualifying reason for FMLA in and of itself.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. A friend had suggested it and it would be a great idea but I didn't know how that works.
      -- that helps me with my dission, Rose

Comment

Maybe you could continue at your current employment while looking for other
        work.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Do you have any vacation time you could take so you have time to make the decision?

Perhaps you could write down monthly bills as a budget and show your husband you could make it without your income.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to my husband this evening and all he could say was, "I want my wife back." He know the emotional, mental and physical toll the job has placed on me. Tomorrow I will go in and turn in my resignation. It was a hard decission in today's economic climate. I have worked at the job for almost 15 years. The company has gone about doing everything it can to squeeze the employees since all the new jobs are in India. I guess at some point you just have to say enough is enough and have the faith to do what you need to do. That's where I am at. Thank you all - today was a crisis point for me.
            Rose

Comment

I wish the best of luck to you. You do understand, Im sure, that you will not
              qualify for unemployment ins. if you quit.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Seriously, Rose, nothing is worth your health. If it's that bad, resigning is probably for the best. Hang in there. We wish you nothing but the best.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                X