This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Weeks Or Not? - While On STD In Ohio

I am looking for advice. I understand from another post that I may resign at anytime while on STD & FMLA leave. I understand and have read in the STD / FMLA documents provided by my employer's third party administrator for STD / FMLA benefits that my company has the right to recover group plan insurance premiums paid on my behalf if I choose not or am unable to return to work at the end of my leave.

So, the question is, do I:
    1. Give them two week notice prior to my return date that I do not intend to return?
    2. Wait until the day of my return and give them an immediate resignation?
    3. Do not wait, but resign immediately?

Honestly, the high-road path seems to me is #3 - to resign immediately. I would forfeit the remaining 2 weeks of STD, but since I know I am not going to return, it doesn't feel right taking this money. On the other hand, by doctor's orders, I am still disabled for these remaining two weeks (after which I may return to work).

What do we think? What is the right thing? Are there legal issues here I should be aware of?

Thank you everyone for your responses in advance.

Ethically, I would let them know as soon as you make the decision two weeks is fine. If your STD is payable through an insurance company, it will not stop until your doctor releases you, whether you are employed or not.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The STD is thru a 3rd party administrator. I do like your answer regardless if I lose the STD pay for the remaining two weeks. I am grateful for the last 3 years of employment, though the last year has reduced me to a depressed waste of space.

Thank you for your advice. Anyone else?

Comment

I agree with Patty's advice.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I also agree.

Comment

I too agree.
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Gee, we have a consensus. Yay, us.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X