X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wsmith
    started a topic Timing a switch between SDI and UI claims California

Timing a switch between SDI and UI claims California

I will be switching from unemployment to pregnancy-related disability, and hope to time it to avoid a longer than necessary wait between receiving my last unemployment check and my first SDI check. My last unemployment benefit period ended 3/28. I know I will have to serve a 1-week unpaid waiting period at the start of my SDI claim.

-Should I continue to file my UI continued claim forms until I receive notice that I am approved for SDI? Can the EDD simply deduct any overpaid UI benefits from my first SDI check(s)? Or would all this only slow down my SDI approval?

-Based on these factors, when should my doctor start my disability date, and when should I mail in the SDI application? (The state website states you're supposed to wait 9 days from the beginning of your disability to submit the application).

Hope someone can advise, Thanks!

• wsmith
    replied
    Thanks!

Thank you very much for clarifying this. Valuable info!

Leave a comment:

• HR/DisMgr
    replied
    -Should I continue to file my UI continued claim forms until I receive notice that I am approved for SDI? Can the EDD simply deduct any overpaid UI benefits from my first SDI check(s)? Or would all this only slow down my SDI approval?
    NO--this will only make the process worse. Remember both UI and SDI are administered by the EDD, so hopefully they will be able to transition your records smoothly. However, if you continued filing for UI when you were not medically able to work, you would have to lie by checking the box that said you were. This morning I attended a UI hearing with a similar scenario and the claimant had to pay back the benefits as well as have an 11 week penalty from any future UI claims.

I would mail in the SDI paperwork as soon as it was complete but no later than the first day of the claim. I know they say 9 days but by the time they get it, it will be at that timeframe anyway. They really want to discourage people from filing during the waiting period if they are not going to be eligible to receive benefits.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• wsmith
    replied
    I wouldn't say "choice"...

...but if the disability is current/ongoing the EDD seems to allow some flexibility based on when you want the claim to begin, and most doctors I think will work with you on that within reasonable parameters.

Leave a comment:

• HumptyDumpty
    replied
    Originally posted by wsmith View Post
    I will be switching from unemployment to pregnancy-related disability, and hope to time it to avoid a longer than necessary wait between receiving my last unemployment check and my first SDI check. My last unemployment benefit period ended 3/28. I know I will have to serve a 1-week unpaid waiting period at the start of my SDI claim.

-Based on these factors, when should my doctor start my disability date, and when should I mail in the SDI application? (The state website states you're supposed to wait 9 days from the beginning of your disability to submit the application).

Hope someone can advise, Thanks!
    Hello,

Not to hijack your question (it is related however), but do patients have a choice as to when they want their doctor to deem them legally disabled (as per the patients request)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X