This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me again, another cobra problem Texas

I just read where Cobra can be extended to 29 months for someone deemed disabled by soc. sec. admin BUT you have to have notified the adminsitrator of your cobra plan within 60 days of getting the award letter as well as before cobra is finished.

So I guess I messed up since I recieved my award letter in Nov 08 but never knew I had to let my HR know. So now if I can't return to work then I'll have 9 months of no cobra, no insurance coverage. BAD!!!

What is your question, please?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

sorry about that!

Is that how you would interpret this quote taken off the dol site:
      "Have a ruling from the Social Security Administration that he or she became disabled within the first 60 days of COBRA continuation coverage

Send the plan a copy of the Social Security ruling letter within 60 days of receipt, but prior to expiration of the 18-month period of coverage".

did I mess up by not giving HR a copy of the letter?

Comment

That is not only how I interpret it, that is what the law says. Yes, you messed up.

You can try talking to HR and seeing if they'll take it anyway, but they're not required to by law.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Supermod

Cobra is a joke in Texas anyway. One pays $373/mo. the check clears and the insurance is still listed as terminated. Other people I know have had the same problems with Cobra in Texas. I would just take my chances on not getting sick and going into Wal-mart $4 prescription program.

You definitely sound like an employer. I don't have a question. I just made a statement after reading many posts on this forum.

Comment

COBRA is a Federal law, not a state law. It works the same way in all states.

I can only tell you what the law says. I don't write the laws nor do I vote on their passage. It doesn't matter whether I'm an employer or an employee (and in truth I am both); the law says what the law says.

Comment

Re Cobra

Yes, I know it is a Federal Law. I have had difficulty with Texans getting the paperwork right any time I have applied for it which is typical of customer service anywhere.

Sorry, I wasn't talking to you when I said you were an employer. I was talking to Supermod...not you. I just posted wrong. New here.

Comment

Working...
              X