This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I seriously need a Doctor's note-Pennsylvania

I work for a private college in PA..and tonight I called off work because my daughter is not feeling well, so I had to stay home with her! I called my supervisor, 2 hours prior to my start time like I was supposed to, and he told me that I would need a doctors note to return to work! Now I am confused, why would I need a doctors note to return to work when I didn't call out sick!?!?! I called out because I needed to stay home with my daughter, irregardless or whether or not I have "accumulated" sick time, I still think I should NOT need a note for this matter!

And also...even if you have exhausted all your sick time, do you have to have a doctors note every time you are off, or do you only one if you are out for 3 or more days in a row? I think I am being played by my employer!! These rules are stupid!

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by sarasmile07 View Post
    I work for a private college in PA..and tonight I called off work because my daughter is not feeling well, so I had to stay home with her! I called my supervisor, 2 hours prior to my start time like I was supposed to, and he told me that I would need a doctors note to return to work! Now I am confused, why would I need a doctors note to return to work when I didn't call out sick!?!?! I called out because I needed to stay home with my daughter, irregardless or whether or not I have "accumulated" sick time, I still think I should NOT need a note for this matter!

And also...even if you have exhausted all your sick time, do you have to have a doctors note every time you are off, or do you only one if you are out for 3 or more days in a row? I think I am being played by my employer!! These rules are stupid!

Thanks everyone!
    I assume your supervisor wants a note from your daughter's doctor.

If your employer requires a doctor's note every time you are out sick, then you must supply one. (the only exception would be if FMLA was involved) There is no three day rule.

Your employer is doing nothing illegal or wrong.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

So I called my daughters doctor this morning, and they told me they would not give me a note because my daughter was not seen in their office. The receptionist told me that its pointless to bring her in, considering there are alot of 24 hour bugs going around, and she is probably close to being over it!
      They said my job was being unreasonable, and that I should not have to supply a note, if I myself did not call in sick!
      So I called my supervisor this morning and told him, they would not give me a note so i don't know when i will be back in!
      So what should I do? I am so confused right now! This is the dumbest thing ever! any advice!
      Thanks Betty for the advice before!

Comment

There is nothing in the law that spells out when an employer can and cannot require a doctor's note, barring FMLA situations. It may or may not be reasonable but it is not illegal.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

The actions of your employer is not reasonable...

I think it was a just a misunderstanding because its obvious that your daughter is the one who was sick and not you!!

Comment

Even though it may not have been reasonable, it was still legal.

I believe the employer would have accepted a doctor's note from the daughter's doctor.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I know they would have accepted a note, on the fact it would have stated that I was off work due to my daughter being ill....that wasn't the problem...the doctor's office would not give me a note becasue they did not see my daughter, and due to the fact they would not give me a note, I was suspended for 3 days!
              how lovely! Oh well....they didn't do anything but put me on a 3 day vacation anyway!
              Thanks for your advice everyone!

Comment

It might have been unfair to suspend you but the problem is it wasn't illegal. Sorry.

Comment

I am not pushing the issue of legalities..I just can't stand some of the policies...but its all good and dandy, I was suspended its over and done with, so everything is all fine and dandy now! No big deal!
                  and Betty it wasn't unfair they suspended me...they did me a favor! LOL! 3 more days away from that crappy job!

Comment

they did me a favor! LOL! 3 more days away from that crappy job!
                    I guess that is one way to look at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X