This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

I have been out of work since may on disability. I received short term disability for 6 months and then went on long term disability till I was approved for SS disability in Dec. I have just received a certified letter from my employer demanding that I re-pay them for benefits for the months that I received the short term disability. Can they do this???????
    Last edited by papagene; 01-16-2009, 04:50 AM.

What is the basis for which they claim you owe them for the months you were on short term disability? If the letter does not give the reason, can you call them up and ask them why they think you owe them the money?
    The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
    No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

The benefit package we had was a flexible one where we could choose what benefits we wanted and at what level. The company claims that this then makes these benefits optional and my responsibility.

Comment

So are you saying that you did NOT opt to participate in your employer's STD benefit when you first were eligible to enroll and therefore STD benefits were paid to you in error?

Comment

No STD in new york is mandated by state and everyone pays into it,covering salary only up to 50%. What they are saying is that whatever else I chose eg. dental,vision etc. I now have to reimburse them from the time my disability started till the time they terminated me when LTD and eventually ss diability kicked in

Comment

Ok - but I'm still not understanding what the issue is.

Are you saying they want you to reimburse them for the premiums for those benefits? And if so, the full monthly premiums or just the portion you nomally contribute off your paycheck?

Comment

Yes they want me to pay what normally would be deducted each week. When I first went on STD I inquired about what needed to be done ,if anything, for continuation of benefits and was told that it was included within the STD package

Comment

Ah. Finally...

Assuming this is their standard policy for employees on leave, yes, they can require you to do this.

Comment

Thanks
                  I Believed I Had To But Just Wanted To Make Sure. Seems A Waste To Have To Pay For Benefits That Were Never Used 3 Months Afterward

Comment

Originally posted by papagene View Post
                    Thanks
                    I Believed I Had To But Just Wanted To Make Sure. Seems A Waste To Have To Pay For Benefits That Were Never Used 3 Months Afterward
                    That's why they call it insurance.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X