This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance pay for disability benefits AND unemployment pay? New York

I have been on short term, soon to be long term, disability. This past week, my company announced that it was closing up due to bad economy. (Nice holiday present, right?!!) Am I eligible for both disability benefits as well as unemployment pay (office headquartered in New York State but I was employed in branch office in District of Columbia)?
    Thank you.

Generally unemployment benefits require you to be actively searching for work and able to take it if you find it. So most states would not pay if you were currently on disability and not able to search/find work.

Hopefully someone else will speak to NY specifically.

Comment

Agree with HRforMe. UI benefits are not payable if you are not ready, willing and able to work.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

if I were you, I would buy long term care insurance instead of disability. This insurance also pays for people with disability.
        Last edited by cbg; 01-31-2011, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Please note this thread was started 2008. ecstatic, please do not reply to
          old threads - thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X