This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt time off question Arizona

I recently moved to Arizona from Idaho. I am a Field Engineer for a Boston area semiconductor equipment manufacturer. I am salaried and exempt. I fully understand that the job is about getting tasks done and it is by no means a 9-5 job. My question has to do with a seemingly immoral practice and I'm concerned about the legality. All of the engineers in my company work well over 40 hours a week. We travel significantly domestically and to Asia so we forfeit alot of weekends, etc. However, if I take an hour or 2 off to visit a doctor, ship a package, anything personal, I am forced to use my sick time to cover those hours. This make the fur on the back of my neck stand up. Clearly, it is a sh&*%y thing to do but since I'm exempt, can they do this??
    Thanks,
    Larry

I agree with you. Having said that, though, what they are doing is not illegal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

they can deduct from sick or vacation. However, if you are out of paid leave, they cannot reduce your salary for those hours.

Comment

Out of sick leave

I have encountered this already. When I am out of sick hours, they graciously "allow" me to borrow sick time and repay it over time. If I understand you correctly (Coriander) this is not proper?

Comment

Originally posted by LAN View Post
          I have encountered this already. When I am out of sick hours, they graciously "allow" me to borrow sick time and repay it over time. If I understand you correctly (Coriander) this is not proper?
          Yes, it most certainly is proper and nothing wrong with it. As long as they don't reduce your salary they can use leave time and even advance you leave time to cover absences.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall111 View Post
            they can use leave time and even advance you leave time to cover absences.
            Advancing any paid time off is a really, really bad idea.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
              Advancing any paid time off is a really, really bad idea.
              Never said it was a good idea, just that it's legal.

Comment

I agree - that's a bummer but not illegal. We exempt people hear you.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X