Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking photos and the law

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking photos and the law

    For personal use, or posting on the Net, can I take pictures of
    anything? For example:

    - Street signs
    - Auto license plates
    - Groups or single people ,
    - in public places,
    - and on private property
    - Monuments
    - Animals in a zoo
    - Animals in a backyard
    - Inside stores
    - Store signs
    - Billboards
    - Product boxes as in a supermarket
    - etc.

    What if the pictures are for sale to the public as on a CD?

    Thank you

    Tony



  • #2
    Taking photos and the law


    Answers from a non-lawyer:
    - Street signs
    Yes
    - Auto license plates
    Probably, but the owner of the car might hassle you.
    - Groups or single people ,- in public places,- and on private property
    There are restrictions on commercial use of a person's likeness. Also, it is
    often considered harassment (which is illegal) to take someone's picture after
    they ask you not to.
    - Monuments
    Yes
    - Animals in a zoo
    Probably, unless the zoo's rules forbid it. The zoo probably allows private
    photography without permission but requires permission for commercial
    photography.
    - Animals in a backyard
    If it's your backyard and your animal, take as many photos as you please and
    use them however you want.
    - Inside stores
    Most stores require permission.
    - Store signs
    It depends on whether you are on store property or not.
    - Billboards
    No problem!
    - Product boxes as in a supermarket- etc.
    You cannot take pictures inside a supermarket without the store's permission.


    *****
    Tim Horrigan <[email protected]om>
    *****

    Comment


    • #3
      Taking photos and the law

      >>>>> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:49:00 -0400, Horrigan ("Horrigan") writes:
      Horrigan> You cannot take pictures inside a supermarket without the store's
      permission.

      This discussion makes me wonder what will happen in the near future
      when almost every person above the age of eleven will be carrying
      a picture-taking wireless networked telephone around with them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Taking photos and the law

        In article <[email protected]>,
        Horrigan <[email protected]> wrote:
        You cannot take pictures inside a supermarket without the store's permission.
        I disagree with this (and the answer to a question a month or two back
        about taking pictures in a bar bar). Silence is consent. Until an
        agent of the store says "don't take pictures" or "get out" I don't
        think the law prohibits photography.

        --
        John Carr ([email protected])

        Comment


        • #5
          Taking photos and the law

          >Silence is consent. Until an
          agent of the store says "don't take pictures" or "get out" I don'tthink the law prohibits photography
          Supermarket chains and other ubiquitous mass retailers frequently have signs at
          the entrance with several standard disclaimers on them--- one of which
          typically forbids unauthorized photography. The main purpose of the
          photography restriction is to make it harder for competitors to keep track of
          pricing, displays, shelf placement, etc.

          Also, a store is not allowed to let anyone come into the store and do anything
          they please. If a store's management feels what you are doing is bad for the
          store, they can tell you to leave and then you have to leave--- even if what
          you are doing is PERFECTLY LEGAL and is not against any specific store rule.


          *****
          Tim Horrigan <[email protected]>
          *****

          Comment


          • #6
            Taking photos and the law


            On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:13:52 -0400, "Arthur L. Rubin"
            <[email protected]> wrote:
            Horrigan wrote:
            Answers from a non-lawyer:- Inside stores Most stores require permission.
            So how are 60 minutes "hidden cameras" legal?
            They get the stores consent to show the pictures after the event. If a
            store was to object then they would not show the film.

            --
            Bob.

            The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The
            distinction is yours to draw...
            ..

            Comment


            • #7
              Taking photos and the law

              John F. Carr wrote:
              In article <[email protected]>, Horrigan <[email protected]> wrote:
              You cannot take pictures inside a supermarket without the store's permission.
              I disagree with this (and the answer to a question a month or two back about taking pictures in a bar bar). Silence is consent. Until an agent of the store says "don't take pictures" or "get out" I don't think the law prohibits photography.
              Silence is consent only if he who remains silent knows what he's being
              silent about.


              Comment


              • #8
                Taking photos and the law

                Bob Brenchley. wrote:
                On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:13:52 -0400, "Arthur L. Rubin" <[email protected]> wrote:
                Horrigan wrote:
                Answers from a non-lawyer:>- Inside storesMost stores require permission.
                So how are 60 minutes "hidden cameras" legal?
                They get the stores consent to show the pictures after the event. If a store was to object then they would not show the film.

                I very much doubt that the shows ask for permission to use the tape.
                They don't need permission. They just need to leave if they're
                discovered and told to leave.

                --
                Gerald Clough
                [email protected]
                "Nothing has any value, unless you know you can give it up."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Taking photos and the law

                  In article <[email protected]>,
                  ptsc <[email protected]> wrote:
                  Specifically, people are taking photographs of news articles, hairstyles,interior design magazine photos and so on while browsing the magazine rack,rather than buying the magazines. I really don't see how it can be stoppedwithout being aggressively intrusive, especially as these cameras become evenmore conspicuous.
                  If it's a big problem stores will prohibit reading magazines without
                  buying them. Some places have done this since before cameras were
                  small.

                  (Then a few magazine browsers will angrily swear never to enter the
                  store again. The store will say "good riddance, thieves". Both
                  parties will think they are right, and the IP war will shift to
                  another front.)

                  --
                  John Carr ([email protected])

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Taking photos and the law

                    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:49:48 -0400, [email protected] (Timothy
                    Horrigan) wrote:
                    Stores can ban just about any conduct they feel like banning--- EVENIF THE CONDUCT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!! They can ban a particular typeof conduct for ANY reason they please or even NO REASON AT ALL!
                    Perhaps the concept of "private property" comes into play here.
                    Stores can ban photography, and from a sign I saw partially hidden
                    behind objects in the Wal-Mart returns desk, they can ban professional
                    comparison shoppers as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Taking photos and the law

                      David Lesher <[email protected]> wrote
                      [email protected] (Timothy Horrigan) writes:
                      Stores can ban just about any conduct they feel like banning---EVEN IF THE CONDUCT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!! They can ban aparticular type of conduct for ANY reason they please or even NOREASON AT ALL!
                      Interracial couples?
                      Well, except for an illegal reason.

                      Stu

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Taking photos and the law


                        "David Lesher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        news:[email protected]
                        [email protected] (Timothy Horrigan) writes:
                        Stores can ban just about any conduct they feel like banning--- EVENIF THE CONDUCT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!! They can ban a particular typeof conduct for ANY reason they please or even NO REASON AT ALL!
                        Interracial couples?
                        <sigh> Interracial couples aren't a type of conduct. Stores can restrict
                        what couples of any kind do as long as they're even-handed about it. Racial
                        discrimination is still illegal, but that's an entirely different topic.

                        Eliyahu


                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X