Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to keep people's driver's license or ID for a certain time Vermont Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to keep people's driver's license or ID for a certain time Vermont Virginia

My question is about withholding driver's licenses and Identification cards from people. What I am asking if what I am ask of me to do at work is legal or not in Virginia or anywhere. I work in the Emergency Room in Richmond,Virginia and as of a week ago was told to keep the patient's driver's license and their insurance card till they get discharge. Sometimes we hold it as short as a couple of hours to as long as 5+ hours at a time. so to sum it up, I was wondering is it legal to hold a person's personal ID items especially Driver's license and cards? Thank you
    wouldn't have a problem
    0.00%
    somewhat have a problem
    0.00%
    would refused to give the cards
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

And what did your supervisors say when you asked for the statute number allowing this?
    “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

They said it was a corporate thing...

First thing...I just notice that the headline was wrong on the location, I ment to type Virginia not Vermont Virginia.

Anyways it all started that my Assistant Director and my Director said that the change (keeping the patient's DL and Ins. card) came from Corporate office. Which to my impression would be the coporate headquarters in Tennessee, thats why I didn't ask anything. Yesterday I went online and found out what other hospital that was own by HCA (thats who own my hospital) in other states and ask the ER registration if they had to withheld their patients Driver's License and insurance card till they discharged, one said they used to but too many patients complained so they stopped, the other hospital (including tenessee,west virginia and some in northern virginia) they said no. I wanted to get a variety of hospital since they said it was a coporate's idea. I think it is stupid for us to do this, cause my concern is what if we start to lose the someone's DL.

Comment

Working...
      X