This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated issue involving ex and damage to car Utah

So in my divorce decree it states that my ex will use the Van that is purchased under my name for 6 months and carry insurance on it. After 6 months she would need to forfeit the van to me, which is not paid off yet so it has full coverage. When she returned it, it had a lot of damage about 3k dollars worth. She is refusing to file a claim with her insurance.

When she took over the van, in November, I dropped her and the van from my insurance. She started her own policy with a different insurer. When she gave it back last week she dropped her insurance and I added it to mine.

My decree doesn't explicitly say that she needs to maintain it or keep it clean or anything like that, it just says that she is required to insure it.

She is refusing to file a claim or pay for the work to be done out of pocket. The van was parked in a parking lot and someone hit it and she never filed a report with the police. I have texts and a recorded conversation of her admitting that the damage was done while the van was in her custody. She is just refusing to pay for it.

Does this seem like something I could take to small claims? Do I have a case? Should I go another route?

You can try small claims court but if this wasn't anything your agreement addressed and she isn't directly responsible for the damage, you may be out of luck.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree - you can try small claims court. You can sue for up to $10,000 in small claims court in Utah.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would sue for damage to property not breaking a contract

Comment

Did you get pics of the van before she got it? If so you're in good shape. If not, that could be a significant problem.
          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
          I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
          Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

I didnt get any pictures but she has admitted to it via text and a recorded conversation.

She used my car while insured under her name, an accident happened.
            She has returned my car but is unwilling to take financial responsibility for the damages caused while she was using it.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me

Comment

Sounds like it to me as well. However- the law might disagree. Never can tell, so I'm thinking you'd be better off consulting with an attorney.
              I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
              Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
              I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
              Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Working...
              X