This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sales certificate in Pennsylvania

I would like to buy items from wholesalers for myself not for resale, but i keep getting asked for a certificate. How do i proceed on getting this certificate.

Originally posted by YOYO38 View Post
    I would like to buy items from wholesalers for myself not for resale, but i keep getting asked for a certificate. How do i proceed on getting this certificate.
    http://www.creators.com:80/lifestyle...our-taxes.html

They are probably talking about a resale cert. which you can't get if you are
    going to buy for personal use.

From link above: "Generally, there is no sales tax on wholesale purchases of inventory. Wholesalers need evidence that you are not buying stuff for your personal use, and they are required to charge you sales tax unless you deliver a resale certificate to them basically, an affidavit swearing on your great-grandmother's grave that you are buying stuff with the intent to resell it. You can find a copy of your state's resale certificate form at your state tax authority's Web site (www.taxsites.com/state.html) under the "Forms and Publications" link.

The resale certificate form will require you to provide the wholesaler with your state tax ID number (also commonly known as a "sales tax number" or "resale number"). You will need to obtain this from your state tax authority before you can buy goods at wholesale legitimately."
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just to be clear, even if you get a resale certificate, you are looking at fines or possible prison time if you use it to buy items for personal use. And there are actual sales tax auditors who check such things. Plus related forms you have to file, generallly quarterly. By having a resale certificate you are basically announcing to all governmental entities that you are a business generate potential tax revenue and that if they want their piece of you, to come on down and get it. And the various state and federal governmental agencies talk to each other. If you are a business for purposes of retail, then you also are a business for purposes of federal government census forms. Maybe PA payroll taxes, depending on how their laws are worded. I have had states with no current employees but which we were still required to file the state payroll related forms because we had sales tax nexus. State law is a strange and often random universe.

As someone who was filed a lot of business related tax forms over the years, this is the sort of door you want to think through PRIOR to opening.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
      X