This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to start auto parts online business in PA Pennsylvania

I have a large garage where I buy wrecked BMW's and sell parts on ebay and forums. I'd like to step it up a notch, and am considering turning this into a business.

I guess what I really need help with is some general information. What will my benefits be to being a legit business and operating a such? Will I still be able to sell things "under the table" like I do now?

I'm only 21 and do have a full time job as a telecommunications technician which keeps me fairly busy. I'm just trying to figure out ways to improve my car parts sales.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Its not clear what you mean by a "legit business". You have a business now, you are just conducting it as a sole proprietorship and should be reporting your income and expenses on Schedule C of your Form 1040. If by "legit business" you meaning forming an entity such as a corporation or LLC, the main benefit is that it gives your personal assets some protection from the creditors of your business.

You can read more on the advantages and disadvantages of a limited liability company (LLC), but pay particular attention to the article that describes the personal exposure that LLC members continue to have. In your case, there may be relatively little advantage to incorporating your business until it gets much larger.

In any case, selling goods "under the table" (I assume you mean without reporting the income) is illegal whether you have an entity or not.
    David K. Staub (www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com)
    Forum posts are not legal advice, are for informational and educational purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Comment

Working...
    X