This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subcontracting in Mississippi

Can I fire a sub-contractor in the state of Mississippi?

What does your contract say about termination? There is no standard answer to the question.
    David K. Staub (www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com)
    Forum posts are not legal advice, are for informational and educational purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Comment

Subcontractor termination

"contract can be terminated at the pleasure of either the Contractor or the Sub-Contractor."

Am I required to give reasonable notice based on this phrasing?

Comment

As a former colleague of mine used to say, Hold the entire contract up close to the monitor so we can see it.

It is not possible to interpret the terms of the contract based on one isolated phrase taken out of context. If the contract as a whole says that notice is required, then notice is required. If the contract as a whole does not say that notice is required, then notice is not required. You have the entire contract available to you (or so one would infer). We do not. There could be other language in the contract that modifies or qualifies that phrase. Or there might not. We don't know. We can't see it.

If the terms are unclear, you really will need to take the entire document to an attorney in your state. This is not a matter that is determined by law, but by the actual terms of the actual contract (the whole thing).
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          As a former colleague of mine used to say, Hold the entire contract up close to the monitor so we can see it.
          I gotta write that one down....

Comment

Working...
          X