This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on LLC Ohio

I currently have my business in Ohio formed under a LLC. I do Property preservation work. The company that supplies me with work wants me to take over accounts in Indiana and Michigan. Question is do I have to form llc's in both of the other states to work there? I will not have a business address in either of the 2 states just the one I have registered in Ohio.

This is a soft answer so you'll need to do more research, but, as an LLC, I THINK you need to register with the Secretary of State in any state in which you want to do business, and then get a local biz license in whatever cities you want to work in. You can go to your local library and ask the reference desk for any Nolo Press books they have on doing business as an LLC. That should give you clearer answers.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

thank you I will check it out.

Comment

Alice's answer is correct. You don't need a new LLC but if you meet the threshold for "doing business" in a state, your Ohio LLC should register as a foreign LLC in whatever state you are doing business in.

One caveat - the determination of what level of activity in a state is sufficient to constitute "doing business" varies considerably. Don't assume that just because you do an occasional job or two in a state that you need to register as a foreign LLC. Check the state's website and if it is unclear, talk to an attorney familiar with the requirements in that state.
        David K. Staub (www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com)
        Forum posts are not legal advice, are for informational and educational purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Comment

Working...
        X