No announcement yet.

How can I get information about a case? Maine

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can I get information about a case? Maine

    Case information may be obtained by telephone, through the mail, or in person at the Clerk's Office public counters.

    A. Obtaining Case Information By Telephone or the Internet

    To permit you around-the-clock access to case information, the Clerk's Office has installed two automated case information systems. The Voice Case Information System, or VCIS, uses a computer-generated synthesized voice device to read case summary information directly from the court's computer in response to touch-tone telephone inquiries. VCIS is provided free of charge. Go to our VCIS web page.

    PACER stands for Public Access to Court Electronic Records and it's a system that allows the public to access the Court's documents electronically. This is information only access. A PACER account does
    not allow a person to electronically file pleadings (See CM /ECF Info).

    Access the USBC, District of Maine PACER site at:

    The charge for web access is $.08 per page. For complete information and instructions on how to get a PACER account, we suggest that you go to the Pacer Service Center site at:

    If you have any questions regarding the PACER system, please call the Clerk's Office in Portland at (207) 780-3482.

    Basic case information that you are unable to access using an automated case information system may be obtained free of charge by calling the Clerk's Office. Go to the office information web page.

    You may also send an email directly from the home page.

    B. Obtaining Case Information By Mail

    To obtain case information by mail, send a written request containing the case number, the case name, the information you request, your name, address, a telephone number where you can be reached during business hours and the best time to call, with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

    Written requests for information requiring a physical search of the court's records should be accompanied by a cashier's check, certified check, or money order sufficient to cover the applicable search fee.

    C. Obtaining Case Information In Person

    As a general rule, all documents in the court's case files and all court dockets are public record and available to the public for inspection. Files and dockets may be reviewed at the Clerk's Office public counters during business hours through our public terminals. All case data back to 1986 is currently on-line.

    Due to limited storage space, closed case files are archived by periodically shipping them to the Federal Records Center in Waltham, Massachusetts for storage. Files and dockets stored at the Federal Records Center may be recalled to the Clerk's Office and reviewed in the Clerk's Office file review area. A $45.00 fee will be charged for each record retrieved from the Federal Records Center by the Clerk's Office. This fee must be paid before the Clerk's Office will recall a record.

    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU REMOVE FILES FROM THE FILE REVIEW AREA OR REMOVE DOCUMENTS FROM FILES. All files must be returned in proper order. The Clerk's Office is the keeper of the court's records and is responsible for maintaining their accuracy and integrity. Removal of files from the file review area, removal of documents from files or failure to return files in proper order will be deemed sufficient grounds to refuse to provide you with additional files.

    Alternatively, you may travel to the Federal Records Center in Waltham to review the archived file or docket. (All personal visits to the Federal Records Center are by appointment only. Appointments are scheduled 7:00 am. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and must be requested by telephone at least 24 hours in advance. You must obtain the file or docket location, box, and accession numbers from the Clerk's Office and provide it to the Federal Records Center in order to review the file there.)

    For more information about the Federal Records Center in Waltham, visit the National Archives and Records Administration website at:

    The Clerk's Office will not certify copies made by you. To obtain certified copies in person, you will be charged a $.50 per page photocopy fee plus a $9.00 per document certification fee.