No announcement yet.

What if the case I'm interested in has been archived? Alaska

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What if the case I'm interested in has been archived? Alaska

    If a case has been archived, there may be some information that is still available through the Clerk's Office. You should first check to see what information is available there. If the Clerk's Office doesn't have the records you need, the Clerk will provide you with certain archive information, such as accession record retrieval numbers (PACER users may access this information through the ECF system, under the query search field, case summary information screen). With this access information, you may call the National Archive & Records Administration (NARA), Pacific Alaska Region, at (206) 336-5134 or fax them at (206) 336-5113 to request the information you need.
    For written requests sent to NARA, there is a per document search fee, payable in either a U.S. Postal Service money order or a cashiers check from a bank. In your request to NARA you must be specific about which documents you would like copied, and you must include full contact information for yourself. Please contact the court or NARA for the fee amount.

    Alternatively, you can ask the Clerk's Office to have the entire case file returned to Anchorage for you to review. There is a retrieval fee, please contact the clerks office for the correct amount. The file is sent to the Clerk's Office by NARA and it takes about four weeks for the file to arrive. The Clerk's Office will hold the retrieved case file for 30 days unless a longer period of time is requested. The file can only be reviewed in the Clerk's Office; it cannot be removed for copying or viewing at another location.