No announcement yet.

How do I file a claim? Alaska

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I file a claim? Alaska

    If you have been listed as a creditor in a bankruptcy case, you will receive a written notice from the Clerk's Office in the mail after the bankruptcy has been filed. The notice will tell you if there is a deadline for filing claims. If a deadline for filing claims is contained in the notice, you will also receive a proof of claim form.
    If the original notice you receive from the Clerk's Office does not contain a deadline for filing proofs of claim (which is usually the case in Chapter 7 cases), you may receive a "Notice to File a Proof of Claim," along with a claim form, once the trustee determines that there are assets in the case. This notice will also have a deadline for filing claims on it.

    If you are informed of a claim deadline, but do not receive a claim form to fill out, you may obtain one from the Clerk's Office or from the Court web site.

    The claim form should be filled out completely and should include any attachments needed to support your claim. DO NOT SUBMIT ORIGINAL backup up documentation to support your claim; it will not be returned to you. The original claim must have your signature on it (not a stamp or copy), preferably in blue ink. You must return the original of your completed claim, with all attachments, to the Clerk's Office by the deadline for filing claims. This means the Clerk's Office must receive the claim form by that date, not that you mail it by that date. You must also send a complete copy of your claim to the case trustee and the debtor. Their addresses will be included in the notice you receive from the Clerk's Office.

    If you wish to have a conformed copy of your claim returned to you, please bring an extra for yourself, or if you are mailing it, include an extra copy with a self addressed, stamped envelope with enough postage to cover return mailing costs. The Clerk will file stamp the extra copy and return it to you.

    Requests for information regarding when a claim will be paid should be directed to the trustee assigned to the case, whose name and telephone number can be found on the notice of filing bankruptcy that you receive from the Clerk's Office or through VCIS (Voice Case Information System). The phone number for VCIS is (907) 271-2658, or toll free within Alaska at 1-888-878-3110.