This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSF Check -- need help Illinois

Hi...8 months back i gave a check for $2000 to my friend which i owe to him.He depoisted the check in July and it was reject because of in sufficient funds. Later i paid him $2k cash in Oct.Now he is saying that if i don't give another $1000, he is gonna put a case on me.The check was dated on 06/10/2009.It's been almost 8 months.How can i defend in the court

Do you have any proof you paid him?

Is this related to the check dated 6/6/09 for $3,000?
    Last edited by GotSmart; 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Agree, is this related to this thread? http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226189
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If it is related this is a math question, not a legal one.
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

The possible related thread starts with OP loaning his friend $3,000 & this current thread OP owes his friend money. It seems there has been a problem with the checks.

krish, could you give us a little better explanation as to exactly what transpired & who owes who what. Also, as GotSmart asked, do you have proof that you paid your friend $2,000 in cash?

Thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

These two are different cases,both belongs to me.. Those two persons,who are trying to screw up my life are my roommates.few months back i had quarrel with those guys for some personal reasons.from then i am facing problems.

I paid $1500 cash + $500 check. i don't have any other proof..how can i proceed with this.Today also he called me and saying that he is gonna place a police complaint...please suggest me something.

Comment

Are you saying you got no receipt for the cash (seems so). Were there any witnesses that saw you pay him back or know that you paid him back. Did you withdraw all the money at once from a bank account or any kind of proof at all. It might end up being his word against yours.

Comment

Hope you have a bank statement showing a withdrawal for that amount, right around the time you say you paid them. Tough lesson to learn, but pay by check or get a receipt. Always.
                I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

when i am paying cash one more roommate was with us.but now he is not here.last month only he went to other country.i didn't draw 1500 at a time.

what are the consequences that i have to face if he files a police complaint on that NSF check.
                  can he file a case after 6 months also? is it valid?

Comment

This is the SOL on NSF checks Il.

Non Sufficient Funds (NSF or Payment of Negotiable Instruments) checks: 3 years of the dishonor of the draft or 10 years after the date of the draft, whichever expired first: 810 ILCS 5/3-118

Comment

Betty...Can you please explain in simple terms..

Comment

It means a case can still be filed against you - time limit has not elapsed. You might have a hard time defending yourself if he takes you to court if you have no proof of payment.

Comment

Working...
                        X