X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legality of cell phone agreement

[email protected] wrote:
    Robert Bonomi wrote:
    *NEVER* sign something you "don't understand".
    This is becoming more difficult to do. I have a college degree from UC Berkeley and 10 years experience as a programmer and even I have trouble reading all the convoluted legalese of phone contracts, bank accounts, and the likes.
    There's a theory that these contracts are deliberately obfuscated using neat tricks like multiple dependent clauses, statements that use terms that loop back to other definitions, overly long sentences, and a lot of other bull**** as a way of hiding conditions a customer would otherwise be hesitant to sign.
    Would a five-line sentence qualify as an "overly long [sentence]"? <innocent
    look>

Anyway, it the sales rep verbally assured him of service, isn't that a legally binding?
    Ed.

--
    Mike

-------------------------------
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
    thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
    we," George W. "Shrub" Bush Aug 5, 2004

Comment

[email protected] wrote:
      Would a five-line sentence qualify as an "overly long [sentence]"? <innocent look>
      How about five *words*? "This contract is for service."

Max

Comment

> Anyway, it the sales rep verbally assured him of service, isn't that a
        legally binding?
        At least on one of the occasions when my wife or I changed cell phone
        companies, we had to sign a statement, that the store printed,
        acknowledging, among other things, that nothing that the saleman told
        us is part of the service agreement.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
          maxborn555 <[email protected]> wrote:
          [email protected] wrote:
          Would a five-line sentence qualify as an "overly long [sentence]"? <innocent look>
          Do you know what 'service' means, in the context of animal husbandry?

Do you _really_ want to be on the receiving end of such 'service' from that
          company?

Comment

> Everybody loves to whine about how complicated contracts are, and
            it's true that many of them are much harder to understand than they should be. But it's also true that a contract needs to be precise and unambiguous, and while that can be done in plain English it can't be done in short plain English.
            What I've seen in "customer agreements" over the years, and this
            includes bank accounts, credit cards, cell phones, and broker accounts,
            is that each change is clearly (in about 300 words) intended to close
            some hole, loophole, or ambiguity that someone managed to exploit. As
            an example, I remember when I first saw the following in a credit card
            agreement-

"If you notify us in writing that you do no accept the terms of this
            agreement, then your account will be closed on April 30, 19xx; however,
            all indebtedness ...."

And I bet the reason was that when the bank had previously sent out a
            new customer "agreement", several must have replied, "I do not accept
            this new agreement and will consider the version of November 1, 19yy
            as still being in effect between you and me."

Comment

maxborn555 <[email protected]> wrote:
              [email protected] wrote:
              I was digging (in jest, of course) at the other poster who wrote a 5-line
              sentence talking about "long sentences."
              Max

--
              Mike

-------------------------------
              "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
              thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
              we," George W. "Shrub" Bush Aug 5, 2004

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                [email protected] (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
                In article <[email protected]>, maxborn555 <[email protected]> wrote:
                [email protected] wrote:
                Do you know what 'service' means, in the context of animal husbandry? Do you _really_ want to be on the receiving end of such 'service' from that company?
                With cell phone companies is there any difference?

--
                -Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
                suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

Have you done your backup today?

Comment

Sprint is awful with contracts

I had a sprint cell phone at one point. I agreed to a one year contract with them, I kept the phone for almost 2 years, never renewing my contract. Then decided to go to verizon, so I cancelled my account with sprint. Now I am in collections fighting over an early termination fee, when I told them that I never renewed my contract and that I served out the year I agreed to, they stated that they automatically renew your contract when they don't hear from you. But I refuse to pay the fee, because I did not renew my contract. So I have to dispute it with the collection agency, and they never provide me proof, they just keep selling the debt to different companies over and over again.
                  This is my personal opinion.

Comment

Sprint Contract

Review your Sprint contract and see if it states anything about automatically renewing your contract once it has expired.If it does not you can file a suit against Sprint for fraud and misreprestation.Not to mention it also hurt your credit and obtaining addtional financing.Hope this help!

Comment

veggie5, please do not reply to old threads - this thread is from 2006. Thank you.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Dear Betty3,
                        A contract in some states are valid for five years.I was only trying to offer my assistance.This is not considered making the world difficult.Your response is irrelevant.Posting negative comments like you just did makes the world difficult.Stop trying to start things and grow up!

Comment

Sorry but that is our procedure on this forum - we do not reply to old (dead) threads.
                          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                          X