Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have. (along with bartending, training, FOH management).

I hate to tell you, but if you are only walking with 18% (average tip is 15-20%) on a weekend, that's not that great. Maybe it's because I'm just female, blond and cute , but I normally walked with about 30%. So studly, I don't find you that charming and I don't understand why you couldn't just say, "oops...sorry, didn't realize the thread was dead."

Oh, and I waited in NC and TX. So yep, I even worked in the same regions as you.

Just call me "Studdette"
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Well, I have. (along with bartending, training, FOH management).

I hate to tell you, but if you are only walking with 18% (average tip is 15-20%) on a weekend, that's not that great. Maybe it's because I'm just female, blond and cute , but I normally walked with about 30%. So studly, I don't find you that charming and I don't understand why you couldn't just say, "oops...sorry, didn't realize the thread was dead."

Oh, and I waited in NC and TX. So yep, I even worked in the same regions as you.

Just call me "Studdette"

I understand completely why you "hate to tell me" I believe with absolute certainty that you are telling me the truth. You are, however, lying to yourself. Having worked in this business for 18 years I understand the psychology of the server who tells themself that they make so much money and it's so great and so on. This is a defense mechanism used by servers to protect from the harshness of the job. Ask any server anywhere how much they make and they will all tell you tall tales of riches whether they work at the Waffle House or a fancy steakhouse they all seem to make so much money. When I speak of 18 percent this is a precise mathematical average which I calculate every night. Most servers are not so exacting and usually have no idea how much money they make. They simply wad up their money to make themselves feel good and tell themselves "Oh I made so much cash tonight!" with their wad of one dollar bills it seems like a fortune.

Now perhaps you ****tailed in a very high traffic place where you could use your sexuality to entice insecure males to tip you a great deal, or you bartended in a similar place but you never consistently made 30 percent waiting tables in a high traffic restaurant, but I'm sure you thought you did because it was necessary for your self esteem to believe so. And that's true for anyone who works in this industry, to a point.

Had you been FOH management you would also intuitively know this about others as well since credit card tips are an indication of cash percentages. So I question your sincerity there as well. If you made so much money waiting tables why on earth would you get into training or management? Everyone knows that training doesn't pay your bills and management has horrible hours and the pay is terrible. Maybe you enjoy showing up early every day and working late into the night every night for less money. Yes that makes sense over working five hours a day waiting tables and making 30 percent.

Let's do the math. Let's say you sold an average of $1000 per night, five nights a week at your magical restaurant. Across the week you'd make $1500. If you worked all year you'd earn $78,000 working five hours a night at a rate of 60 dollars an hour. If you were FOH I doubt you could command a sixty dollar an hour salary. The money just isn't there with the exception of a very small percentage of restaurants. So why would you make that move if you had such a lucrative thing going, you wouldn't.

In addition just because we worked in the same state has nothing to do with it. What was the economy like in the city where you worked? What was the volume of the establishment? In some cities, such as Vegas, where there are waiters who make as much as $100K annually. I've known them, the clientele and the check average is there, but they still only make around 18 percent because this is a common amount that the public perceives as a good tip. Middle America tips 10 to 15 percent and feels good about it, some people tip 20 percent and sometimes you score a whale who's had a great experience and wants to return the favor, or massage his own ego or whatever.

I do not want people to tip beyond their means, nor do I want to perform a service for people who are not willing to pay me. I believe that at 20 percent I'm spending my time productively, earning a living and I enjoy what I do. I'm remarkable at making people feel good, I'm in exceptionally good physical condition. Most people have jobs where they don't get to socialize and they come out and I entertain them and they get some food and drink. But I have bills just like everyone else and want to be paid for the service I provide whether the kitchen makes a mistake, or your dog died, or no one loves you or...

So I think you should reevaluate your math because lies do not become us.

Sincerely,
      -J

Comment

Originally posted by Junkley View Post
        Yes, thank you. I do realize that I'm replying to a four year old thread. The point I'm making is still valid and somehow I can tell by the voice of your words that you are probably one of these people. You could have read the post and gotten something positive out of it but you chose to insult me by saying I can't read a calendar. Does it matter that the thread is four years old? Do you tip well? Do you treat others with respect regardless of how they make their living? Did the architect move all the stones by himself to make those pyramids?

I do very well as a waiter. Ask yourself honestly would a person work in an industry since high school, through college and beyond and not make a living and continue to do it? I do have a college education and thus have career choices in life. About once a month I get a one hundred dollar tip. So This should attest to my skill as a waiter. Anyone with average intelligence and average physical fitness can walk with ten percent. On a average weekend I can walk with 18 percent. I am a stud in the waitering world and you should be so lucky to have me wait on you. I bring some sunshine into your boring life. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic and my bills are all paid. I can charm my way into the pants of your mother and your sister at the same time so watch your mouth.

By the way have you ever waited tables? Do you think you could do it? Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and get yourself a little weekend job and see what it's like. It might be the best thing you could do for yourself.

-J
        I put myself through college waiting tables and bartending. My personal best was getting sat 6 4-tops, 2 6's and an 8 simultaneously when we hired a new hostess. What made it especially difficult is that I never, repeat never, wrote down my orders until I was back in the kitchen because I thought that took eye contact away from my customers.

I was so deep in the weeds, I thought the sky had become leaf colored. However, I pulled together all of the experience my various years as a waitron unit had taught me and handled it like the pro I am. My shift drink never tasted so good... and the best part was that none of the customers KNEW I was in the weeds.

If the service is good and since I know from personal experience what it is like to support a raging tuition habit on table/bartending pay, I tend to overtip.

Well, except when the waiter forgets why they are there and treats me with barely masked contempt because I had the gaul to ask them to do their job and actually serve me.

If you hate customers so much, maybe you should consider another line of work.

Have you ever thought of applying to the DMV?
        Last edited by cyjeff; 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Oh, and if you are doing my sister, I hope you leave the lights off and bring some mountaineering rope.

She will be appreciative... but it ain't like you should be bragging about it.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

First of all, if you dislike America and Americans feel free to leave the country and don’t let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. Oh, sorry for the silly little American saying.

I am a bit confused by your posts:

In your first post you complain about your plight as an underpaid over worked server. You are irritated by the fact that people actually have the audacity to patronize the restaurants that you work in. Then you claim that all of your customers are fat, lazy, unhappy, stupid, disgusting slobs, who are not smart enough to work at the restaurants in their own country. Where do all of the servers in America come from anyway? Next, you complain about the terrible working conditions and explain why you are ENTITLED to a 20% tip.

In you second post you pretend that your first post was meant to somehow be helpful and positive. Then you imply that you were being made fun of, because of your job. I am sure that was not the reason. Cyjeff, was wrong to use sarcasm, since the anti-Americans do not understand it.

In the third post you brag about your superior earnings that have supported you in abundance and style for many, many, many years, and all in five hours a day. That seems to contradict your entire first post.

Then you demean the blond and cute mommyof 4 who was trying to give you a break with her amusing response. (Again – sarcasm- lost- on- anti-American) You act disapproving and accuse her of using her sexuality to entice customers. Then you turn around and stroke yourself by telling us about your “exceptionally good physical condition.”

Give me a break.

By the way, what restaurant do you work at? I want to make sure that I never take my over-tipping self there.

Comment

The real funny part is that the poster believes that his contempt of the people that he serves doesn't shine through.

No one is that good an actor... even a waiter.

Comment

HAHA!!! I know the first post is over 4 years old, but I just read some of what Junkley has said. That guy is soooooo freaking funny. The only people who care about tips are the waiters themselves. I absolutely DO NOT tip based on what the meal costs. I base it on how well the server is. I don't care if you serve me a $10 salad or a $60 piece of meat, I base it on how well you do your job. If you forget something or I have to wait a long time(if it is not busy, your tip goes down. The thing is you make $2.13/hr (plus tips).....if you make a mistake you break a $2 glass or screw up and order, which probably gets served to someone else. Your mistake is minimal, and a manager does not even have to find out about it. If I make a mistake at my job, it would cost the company hundreds and thousands of dollars. If I make a few of those mistakes I can lose my job.......a lot easier for me to lose my job that for you to. Hell, if you lost your job just walk down the street and work there.

Hell, no one should tip. They make so much off the food they make it is rediculous. Try this some time...go to the butcher and see how much that piece of meat costs there (it will be significantly cheaper than the restaurant).....then subtract another 10-20% and that is what the restaurant got it for. Suddenly that $60 peice of meat is only around $15-$20......and if on a Friday or Saturday the restaurant is busy and puts out maybe 30 and hour from 6-10.....thats $4800-$5400 profit on just the meat. That is not even counting the $1.50 soda that probably really only costs 25 cents and the $6.00 beer that really costs $2.00.

Comment

Shep, you have no clue about the basic financial break down of a restaurant.

Junkey, I don't lie to myself. I made **** good money, that's why I continued to bartend even AFTER I graduated from college. Baby, if you only pulled 18% on a weekend, you sucked.
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                  (unique up on him)
                  How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                  (same way)

Comment

Sooooooo.........how many bartending and server jobs have a 401K? I'll be sure to say hi when you are still working at 70 years old.

Over half of bartenders and servers probably don't even claim their tips on their taxes. The IRS should audit all servers and bartenders, I bet we could pay off the national debt with the money they would owe the govt.

GET ME A BEER!!!!

Comment

Since it was 4 years old, I suppose that 2 months ain't too bad!

BTDT and even got the t-shirt. Want a tip from me? Then I suppose you earn it. I always earned it. There were a number of times I went above and beyond my job to satisfy the customer. Small things, really, but something I'm not required to do. Case in point- one guy from out of town orders a nice big meal for him and his family, they're tired & have a reservation at a motel but they apparently left the reservation documents at home, IIRC about 5-600 miles away. So per his request I called around to find the best rates for them. Turned out one place I called was the very place they had reservations at. With my help they got it all taken care of. He was really happy about. Could stop thanking me. Seemed fishy, really. Then when I cleared his table found out they left me $1 for a tip. One fricking dollar. It bugged me, yes. But it didn't stop me. I still do what I can (though now in a different sales-oriented business) to help a customer.

Now, thee are times just talking to a customer, hearing them out, makes their day. And sometimes they make my day. Best tip I ever got where I'm at now was $20.
                      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                      Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkley View Post
                        You create scenarios designed to deliberately make you feel like you do not have to tip.

People do not HAVE TO tip.
                        It's absolutely insane and I pitty anyone who thinks otherwise.

Getting authorities involved and bringing the issue to court extends the insanity.

If a restaurant wants to charge a service fee for certain conditions, that's another story and it should be honored if you decide to eat at that establishment.

I you have a problem with someone not tipping then get out of the restaurant business!

End of Story

Comment

xxrt, please do not reply to old threads - thanks.
                          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                            xxrt, please do not reply to old threads - thanks.
                            If you don't want people responding to "old" threads then take them off your server! You'll save yourself some hard drive space while you're at it.

Comment

One reason we leave the old threads available is for people to be able to review them & maybe get an answer to their question without having to post it. People many times have the same question. However, our procedure is not to reply to them. (dead threads)

Thank you.
                              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                              X