Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can *I* record Customer Service calls?

I have conversations with Customer Service Reps (CSR's) often. They often
    say anything to resolve an issue, which I rely on and then often turns out
    to be wrong and causes great aggravation and wasted time.

Can I record these customer service calls?

Why I think I can:
    Most CSR calls now say something like "this call may be monitored for
    quality purposes." Does this equal consent of both parties for MY recording
    the phone conversation? It does seem to remove any expectation of privacy
    on the part of the CSR.

I live in an "all party consent" state (Illinois), so my consent alone is
    probably not enough.

Can *I* record Customer Service calls?

Tom,

Why don't you state clearly that you are recording and ask for their
    permission to continue? I do not believe that "monitoring" is the same as
    recording. Therefore I don't think that the agreement by both parties to
    allow monitoring will allow either party to make a tape recording. Your
    phone company may know local rules on tape recording et c.

Good luck,
    Dave M.

Comment

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:58:02 GMT, "David Martel"
      <[email protected]> wrote:
      Why don't you state clearly that you are recording and ask for theirpermission to continue?
      When they get done informing you that they are going to be recording
      your conversation for quality control purposes, you say "So am I." Be
      sure to capture it on your recording.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
      http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed
      enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much."
      --Ronald Reagan

Comment

Dave, I actually did try that the other day, and the CSR said no! But he
        also didn't hang up, either. That's why I'm wondering if I can just:

1) use their own statement that the call may be 'monitored' (although
        usually they say "recorded" as well, so in those instances is it OK?), or

2) just announce that I am recording the call, without asking for
        permission, the idea being that their continued speaking is implied consent.

Also, option 1 is best because I suspect that the the CSR's are likely to be
        much less helpful if I tell them I am recording the call.

Tom

"David Martel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] link.net...
        Tom, Why don't you state clearly that you are recording and ask for their permission to continue? I do not believe that "monitoring" is the same as recording. Therefore I don't think that the agreement by both parties to allow monitoring will allow either party to make a tape recording. Your phone company may know local rules on tape recording et c. Good luck, Dave M.

Comment

Tom,

You need advice from someone who is familiar with your laws. I'd
          recommend your phone company or a local lawyer. The problem with option 2 is
          that they can clearly tell you to turn off your recorder or they can hang
          up. If you believe that service will be inferior if you make a record then
          why do you want to make a record?

Dave M.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I may try the phone company but I doubt it will
            help. As far as a lawyer, this is an issue that would have to be
            researched, probably in a costly manner. I am wondering if someone knows
            anything about it already, which is why I am asking here.

As to your last question, is it so hard to understand that I might want
            both good service and a recording of the coversation? Haven't you ever
            talked to a CSR who said you would be refunded money/sent another item, etc,
            then later another CSR denies the first one ever said that?

news:[email protected] ink.net...
            Tom, You need advice from someone who is familiar with your laws. I'd recommend your phone company or a local lawyer. The problem with option 2
            is
            that they can clearly tell you to turn off your recorder or they can hang up. If you believe that service will be inferior if you make a record then why do you want to make a record? Dave M.

Comment

Tom,

OK. You want advice from a stranger who claims to know what he is talking
              about. This may not be wise but is certainly your decision. To facilitate
              this process you should probably repost your question. This time be sure to
              tell everyone what country's laws are under discussion. This is really
              important to your question.

Good luck,
              Dave M.

Comment

Why don't you lay off the condescending attitude? Of course I want advice
                from a stranger, that is why I am posting on a newsgroup, just like everyone
                else here. Any nitwit is smart enough to know that it is a good idea to see
                a lawyer if it is really important, but sometimes it is good to hear other
                peoples' opinions and experiences anyway. Secondly, I clearly stated in my
                first post that I am in Illinois, which is in the USA.

news:[email protected] ink.net...
                Tom, OK. You want advice from a stranger who claims to know what he is
                talking
                about. This may not be wise but is certainly your decision. To facilitate this process you should probably repost your question. This time be sure
                to
                tell everyone what country's laws are under discussion. This is really important to your question. Good luck, Dave M.

Comment

I think you probably can.

1. The FCC website says there is no problem with it.
                  http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/recordcalls.html

2. Federal statute, I believe, says that it is OK as long as one
                  party consents (no site)

3. Illinois law: by statute, maybe both parties are necessary, but
                  case law says only one party needed.
                  http://www.illinoislawhelp.org/index...contentid=2316

I didn't read the Illinois statute myself. But if you only record
                  those calls that already announce they may be recorded, you might be
                  OK either way. Who is going to prosecute you? If you are sued, what
                  would be the damages?

V

"Thomas Franzen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                  I have conversations with Customer Service Reps (CSR's) often. They often say anything to resolve an issue, which I rely on and then often turns out to be wrong and causes great aggravation and wasted time. Can I record these customer service calls? Why I think I can: Most CSR calls now say something like "this call may be monitored for quality purposes." Does this equal consent of both parties for MY recording the phone conversation? It does seem to remove any expectation of privacy on the part of the CSR. I live in an "all party consent" state (Illinois), so my consent alone is probably not enough.

Comment

"Thomas Franzen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:[email protected]
                    Why don't you lay off the condescending attitude? Of course I want advice from a stranger, that is why I am posting on a newsgroup, just like
                    everyone
                    else here. Any nitwit is smart enough to know that it is a good idea to
                    see
                    a lawyer if it is really important, but sometimes it is good to hear other peoples' opinions and experiences anyway. Secondly, I clearly stated in
                    my
                    first post that I am in Illinois, which is in the USA.
                    The way technology is developing, I suspect soon it will be possible for
                    anybody with a home computer to record any and all calls with a couple of
                    mouse clicks. Let the monitoring of the CSR's begin.

Comment

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:07:58 GMT, "Don Zimmerman" <[email protected]>
                      wrote:
                      The way technology is developing, I suspect soon it will be possible foranybody with a home computer to record any and all calls with a couple ofmouse clicks. Let the monitoring of the CSR's begin.
                      You can do it today. Use a voice-enabled modem to dial the number and
                      then record the voice with a sound card.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
                      http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"It is the Soviet Union that runs against the tide of history. It is
                      the march of freedom and democracy which will leave Marxism-Leninism
                      on the ash heap of history as it has left other tyrannies which stifle
                      the freedom and muzzle the self-expression of the people."
                      --Ronald Reagan

Comment

"Bob from Texas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        news:[email protected]
                        You can do it today. Use a voice-enabled modem to dial the number and then record the voice with a sound card.
                        That's great. I guess the days of dishonest CSRs are numbered. Next, I want
                        to find a way to record what goes on in the board rooms of corporations.
                        Some way so simple that anybody can do it.

Comment

"Don Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in
                          news:[email protected]:
                          The way technology is developing, I suspect soon it will be possible for anybody with a home computer to record any and all calls with a couple of mouse clicks. Let the monitoring of the CSR's begin.
                          Eh? The original Tandy Sensation had a voice modem and this feature in its
                          bundled software. That was a bunch of years ago on the relatively fast
                          technology timescale.

I keep meaning to check through this stack of modems I have laying around
                          and see if one of them is voice capable so I can do just that.

Comment

Working...
                          X