This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collection without notice Nebraska

I recently had a credit report ran. It came back with an old credit card account that had put into collections. I was never informed about this account going into collections until I read it on my report. I haven't even gotten anything from that credit card company in a few years, or even a collection agency. I have called both the credit card company and the collection agency asking for proof of debt and past statements. Each company keeps referring me back to the other. I started with the credit card company. They said they did not have statements because the account had been placed into collections. The collections agency keeps telling me I have to contact the credit card company for statements. No one seems to be able to provide me with information I need. I haven't used the credit card in years and I really need to know if there are fraudulant charges. The closest I have gotten is a supervisor from the credit card company telling me I could mail in a request for past statements. But to mail me copies of statements from the past few years they want to charge me over $400.

For my own protection in case any of this happens to go to court I have been recording the conversations with both companies.

What are my next steps?

Did you contact the credit bureau that you received/requested the credit report from? They hold consumers' credit reports in their databases. Credit Bureaus are a type of consumer reporting agency. These agencies have responsibilities under the FCRA.

You can dispute the accuracy of the report with them & they must take steps to verify the accuracy. You can try that (to start anyway).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Looking at who they are, a business, they are obligated to show proof of debt. The catch here is that it's up to you to send them the request in writing. So my suggestion is to send them a letter demanding proof of debt. In my experience I would send TWO such letters, one regular mail and the other certified with return reciept requested, both first class mail. Keep a copy for yourself, and keep the receipts. For the postage, pay directly at the counter at the post office. They'll stamp it. And you get the reciept showing that it was paid. Keep copies of EVERYTHING you get.

Also, since Nebraska is a single party state (please refer to the website in my signature) next time you call them, I suggest that you record it. Though I feel that writing is much better. When on the phone mistakes are so easy to make.
      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
      Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Agree that they do require the request to be in writing. You would want it in writing anyway.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X