X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filled bankruptcy butnow they want my car Illinois

Hello everyone

I filed bankruptcy in 2009 my bankruptcy was discharged in 2010. I did not include my car in my bankruptcy because I still wanted my car. Which my lawyer told me that was okay and I just needed to continue to pay on it. I also, advised my finance company and they was okay with it. To make a long story short I continued to pay my car I missed two payments November and December payments because I was hospitalized. I called my car company and advised them I'm sorry I'm late and will catch up this month. I was informed that I have stolen there car and It is against the law to keep there car once I field bankruptcy. I told her the car was not included and I have my discharge papers that state what was included and the car wasn't. She refuse to hear me. What can I do if anything? Was she correct I have a stolen car? My lawyer is no longer in Illinois so, I cant contact him.

Here's a link on filing for bankruptcy in Il. & keeping your car. I assume this was a chapter 7 since you filed in 2009 & it was discharged in 2010.

http://www.newlandlaw.com/practice-a...chapter-7.html

If you can't work anything out with your car lender/car company re keeping the car after filing for bankruptcy, you might try talking to another lawyer. You could try talking to the bankruptcy trustee even though the bk has been discharged. (This is only re keeping the car after filing for bankruptcy.)

However, you always need to continue to pay on a vehicle kept after filing bankruptcy if you want to keep it just as you would need to pay on a vehicle you are paying on & didn't file bankruptcy. You did miss two payments already. You'll just need to see if anything can be worked out with the lender/car co. re payments. That's your problem there - you didn't continue paying on the vehicle. A lawyer/bk trustee can't help with that but they can verify that you were allowed to keep the car.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry about that. Yes it was chapter 7. I have talked to my lawyer I should be okay. I also paid my car company all pass due balances so they are okay with me keeping the car. It was not included in my bankruptcy. Thank you so much for taking time out to answer my question.

Comment

You're welcome. I'm glad things seem to have worked out for you.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X